Hobbiton Tours, Matamata

Hobbiton Tours, Matamata

Attraction

Review of "Hobbiton Tours, Matamata"

published 19/05/2015 | anwar
Member since : 30/04/2003
All reads gratefully received! If I miss you give me a shout! Thanks for the premium fund ciao!
Pro a must for Hobbit fans and great for those who are not!
Cons a bit rushed
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"A trip to middle earth.."

Hobit hole

Hobit hole

Last November I traveled to New Zealand for a 5 week trip with my 12 year old son. Before we left we spent time together planning what we wanted to do and see. My son is a fan of the Hobbit and knew that trilogy had been filmed in New Zealand. He was really keen to visit some of the locations and especially wanted to visit the Hobbiton film set located on the North Island. Although I am not a fan I was more than happy to take him.

Booking.
**************

I decided to book before we left as we had a tight schedule and wanted to spend most of our time on the South Island. Booking was quick and east via the Hobbiton web site. There were several options available including trips starting from Rotorua via coach, trips collecting from the nearby town of Matamata or you can opt to drive yourself to the main booking office where you will be taken by coach on the short drive to the film set. I decided to drive to the main booking office and paid $75 (£36) for myself and $ 37 for my son. Children under 14 pay just $10.

It is not possible to tour the film set independently.

Once you have selected where you would like your tour to start from you will need to select a tour time. I would strongly advise you to select the first tour of the day starting at 9.30 am, this avoids having to follow others and the place is quiet at this time of day.

I was sent a conformation email and tickets to print and take with me.

Getting there.
*******************

We started our trip in Auckland and I made the mistake of making Rotorua our next stop. I booked our Rotorua accommodation before booking the Hobbiton tour. This meant I had to retrace our steps back to Hobbiton! With hindsight I wish I had booked to stay at one of the Waikato farm stays that are available.

It is 73 km from Rotorua to Matamata and it took me about 1 ½ hours. The actual address of Hobbiton is 501, Buckland road and my Sat Nav had no problem in getting me there which was just as well as it’s a very rural location and I don’t remember seeing any signs until we were almost there! I enjoyed the drive as it took us through some stunning scenery and several small farming townships.

The drive from Auckland takes about 2 hours following the bust state highway 1 and then taking highway 27.

There are tours available from both Auckland and Rotorua.The intercity bus runs tours from the sky city terminal in Auckland at a cost of $149 return for example.

On arrival
**************

As I have indicated I booked the 9.30 am tour as I thought there would be fewer tourists at this time. There is a reasonably sized, free car park at the back of the main booking office. When we visited there were road works in progress and so the car park was a little hazardous with lots of heavy plant around!

Once parked we headed into the main building to register. The building also has a small café with outside seating. Everything seemed very new and well kept including the toilets.

We had been advised to arrive 15 minutes before the start of our tour and spent the time waiting for the bus browsing the shop. The bus arrived just after 9.30 and we were introduced to our young tour guide. I would estimate there were about 35 people on our tour. The drive to the film set is along a rough track on the 1,250 acre sheep farm. When we set off it was pouring but luckily by the time we arrived at the entrance to the film set it had cleared up. The guide offered us all umbrellas in case things turned damp again.

The film set. ( middle earth)
**********************************

Although I am no Hobbit fan I was immediately impressed by the surroundings. The set is spread over 12 acres and is truly amazing and very realistic! There are lots of Hobbit holes including the home of Bilbo Baggins. Although you can venture into some of the Hobbit holes they are empty,although it makes for a great photo opportunity to appear to be coming out of the hole!

The gardens are full of* flowers and vegetables*; all very realistic! We wanted to stop and take lots of pictures and quickly became separated from our guide who wanted to rush on. This was the only real negative for us as we heard little of what he had to say about the set.

As we were the first tour of the day we had no one in front of us and as our group was relatively small we had plenty of opportunity to take photos with no one else in our way.

I really loved everything especially the party tree and meadow with maypole. The mill and pond are also stunning especially with the backdrop of the Kaimai ranges in the distance.

The tour ends with a visit to the famous Green Dragon Inn. The ticket price includes a free drink. I opted for a lovely mug of Southfarthing cider and my son had a soft drink. The roaring log fire was a welcome sight on what was a chilly spring day. The Inn sells light snacks and we each had an enormous cheese scone with butter. I thought the $3.50 cost was very reasonably considering this is a tourist trap! The In also sells biscuits, soup and pies.

Once everyone had finished we made our way back to the coach for the short drive back to the booking office. As we were leaving several full coaches were arriving and I suspect the later tourists would feel that the set was getting crowded!

The entire tour had lasted for about 2 hours including the drive to and from the film set entrance.

The shop.
**************

Before we made our way back to Rotorua we decided to have another, longer browse in the shop. The shop is very well stocked with lots of unique souvenirs from both the Lord of the rings and the Hobbit. As you would expect everything was very expensive. However I did buy my son a hobbit tee shirt for around £20.

Overall.
*************

Although this wouldn’t have been somewhere I would have chosen to visit had I been alone, I was really glad I did! I really enjoyed the visit and it was defiantly one of my son’s highlights! I would have liked the guide to have waited for the entire group before moving on, but I expect he was following orders!

• justarube published 03/09/2016
    Good review
  • Violet1278 published 13/08/2015
    An outstanding review. E from me.
  • Mistybrook published 01/08/2015
    VH :) I would love to go on this tour.

Product Information : Hobbiton Tours, Matamata