Holiday Inn Hull Marina, Kingston-upon-Hull

Hotel - Castle Street, Kingston-upon-Hull, Riding of East Yorkshire, HU1 2BX - 3 Stars - 101 Rooms

Review of "Holiday Inn Hull Marina, Kingston-upon-Hull"

published 12/10/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1960
Family and days of childminding now keeping me busy but I keep on rating more than writing. Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Convenient location, on site parking, lovely clean rooms, nice bar area and staff
Cons There might be cheaper hoels around
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Holiday Inn Hull Marina, - explore the European City of Culture"

Our room at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, Kingston-upon-Hull

Our room at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, Kingston-upon-Hull

Castle Street
Kingston Upon Hull
HU1 2BX

About twelve years ago we went on a Kuoni tour holiday to China. At the time my husband and I were still working so it was in the school summer holiday. There wee quite a few teachers on the tour and we became very friendly with three other couples on the tour. Every year since then we have met up somewhere twice a year in the UK just to have a get together. This latest meet up was in Hull and the hotel we booked was the Holiday Inn on the marina as it seemed pretty central and had parking as well.

~~~~~~ WHY HULL? ~~~~~

Hull is the current European city of Culture and we felt I deserved to have a visit because of this. We looked on line for things to do and were a little underwhelmed specially as one of the top ten things on trip adviser was visiting Lincoln cathedral!! However we were very pleasantly surprised and fond plenty to keep us occupied for two days and a bit without having to drive anywhere at all.

~~~~~~~ GETTING THERE ~~~~~~

We all drove from different parts of the UK but our drive was a couple of hours from Derby. We had hoped to drive over the Humber bridge but the sat nav took us north of the bridge so we had to save that excitement till we left. It is pretty amazing sight and well worth the £1.50 toll we paid.

We arrived a little early for check in but the receptionist was happy to store our bags and allow us to park in the car park so we could wander around the marina while we waited. The car park was secure and cost an extra £7.00 a day ( 24 hours) to park there but as the hotel was very centrally located in the city we were not surprised . They gave you a four digit code to get out once you checked out. You also had to give the car registration number as you checked in.

~~~~~~~RECEPTION ~~~~~~~

Check in was at 2 pm and once we were allocated our room we were given the key cards and shown where to get the lift up to our floor.

The reception desk area could be accessed from the front of the hotel or if, like we were, you parked behind the hotel you could come in through a back door too to save you a bit of walking.

The reception area was light and airy with a couple of areas where you could sit with a comfortable chair and one computer with printer was also in the same area.

The front of the hotel faced the marina which gave some rooms a great view, others looked over the car park or towards the front which according to our friends had small balconies but were quite noisy when this was open as it faced the road.

The reception area led onto a corridor which led in one direction to the leisure area and in the other direction it led passed the lifts towards the bar and restaurant which faced the other small marina.

~~~~~~ OUR ROOM ~~~~~

We were lucky as out of the four rooms of our group we had the one room which was at the back over looking the marina so we were able to have our window open as it was quiet and also enjoy a nice view of the marina. Apparently the rooms with balconies were upgrades but our friends who had them did say they were noisy when the doors were open.

The room was quite a decent size, the ones with the balconies they said were quite small. We had a double bed, two easy chairs, a small table , a desk, a set of drawers and a wardrobe in the entrance area opposite the bathroom.

The room had a door which led to the next door room so if you had children this could be opened which is always handy for families.

The flat screen TV was on the wall above the drawers and worked well for the short time we watched it.

The wardrobe had an iron and board plus a small shelf unit in it. There were so spare pillows on the top shelf which we did use. There were plenty of hangers as well but no bathrobes or coded safe in there.

The bed was comfortable but I found the pillows a touch hard hence checking out the extra ones in the wardrobe which were a bit better.

The bedding was white cotton standard IHG bedding with a blue runner at the foot end for decoration.

The drawers were large and held quite a lot and beside both sides of the bed was a beside table with a good light but no drawer to put things like my book and glasses. I liked the fact that I could switch off both the main and my bedside light from the bed as so often I have to patrol around a hotel room trying to find all the light switches when I am wanting to go to sleep and b the time I find them I am wide awake again!

The room was decorated in muted colours and had pencil drawings in frames on the wall which I think must have been local but I didn't recognise where. The pictures in the public areas were certainly local.

There was a tray with kettle and tea and coffee as well as mini UHT milks.

There was an air conditioning unit but we used nature's air conditioning and opened the window. The curtains were black out so very dark when closed.

~~~~ THE BATHROOM ~~~~~~

This was surprisingly large for a Holiday Inn in the UK and had just a toilet, sink set in a vanity shelf with a large mirror above in and then bath with shower over it. The tiles were pale cream and white and looked really good.

The hair dryer was in the top drawer in the bedroom and so you could choose which mirror to use. There was a full length one outside the bathroom and another above the desk in the bedroom.

The toiletries were in mini bottles and included a shampoo/conditioner and a shower gel and small soap only. There was notice to say that if you had forgotten anything they were supply this if you asked – basic toiletry items only of course!

The towels were white, large and nice and soft and fluffy. We had a bath sheet and hand towel each plus a bath mat. Despite hanging ours up properly and the hotel saying they were an eco hotel they were replaced daily. This does annoy me as we were more than happy to use ours again and it is such a waste of water and electricity etc to wash all these unnecessarily.

~~~~~~ BREAKFAST ~~~~~~

We paid for bed and breakfast and this was served between 6.30 am and 9.30 am. It was a buffet but you could also order extra things from a small menu selection. Coffee was from a machine and hot water could be used for variety of teas on offer. There were two fruit juices, fresh fruit and a berry compote as well as plain and low fat fruit yogurt. Also in the cool section was a choice of cold meats and cheeses.

A selection of pastries, cereals and breads for toasting with spreads, skimmed milk and coffee cream was on offer as well as the hot cooked stuff like bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, scrambled and fried eggs and hash browns which could be seasoned with ketchup or HP sauce.

If you asked you could also have pancakes, other eggs and some the selections but we didn't see the menu till day two after we had eaten!

The staff were very helpful and welcoming and cleared the dirty dishes from our table very quickly after we had finished with them.

~~~~~~ THE BAR AND RESTAURANT ~~~~~

This was a large area with a variety of tables and seating. We enjoyed a few drinks here from cups of tea in the afternoon trough to pre dinner drinks and finishing off with coffee, hot chocolates and a glass or two of whiskey as a night cap.

The bar staff were also all very friendly. They were also happy to recommend local places to eat although they did say that the food was excellent at the hotel restaurant . The menu looked very good but we didn't eat there in the end so cannot say what it was like.

~~~~~~ OTHER FACILITIES ~~~~

Wifi was free in all areas including the guest bedrooms for IHG reward member s but £16 for non members in the rooms.

There was an indoor heated swimming pool and nice sauna.

The small Fitness Centre has a rower, stair stepper, treadmill, elliptical machines, free weights and a stationary bicycle. There is also an on-site fitness trainer.

There is no safe in the room but they do offer a safety deposit box service in reception. They will also story our baggage if needed if you are leaving after check out or like us arrive too early to check in.

Check out is noon and check in 2pm so they must move fast to get all room ready if they are busy.

Dogs are allowed and cost £5 per night extra but you need to book them in, in advance.

Children aged 17 and under stay for free when sharing their parents’ room. Up to four children aged 12 and under eat free any time of the day in the on-site restaurant.

Th entire hotel is smoke free, there are two accessible rooms and some rooms have the adjoining doors. Some have sofa beds for extra guests .

~~~~ BOOKING ~~~~~

You can book through Hotels'com or other booking sites or through the IHG site. If you book direct then they say you get the best price and of course if you are an IHG reward member you earn points for each stay booked direct with them.

We paid £98 for Monday night and £138 for Tuesday night so prices vary. Parking was an extra £7 for 24 hours.

~~~~~~~ RECOMMENDED? ~~~~~~

Yes this hotel is in a perfect location for exploring the city, especially the marina, Old Town area and the museum area. The Deep is also an easy walk away.

The hotel is clean and fresh looking. The rooms comfortable and the bar and restaurant excellent with great staff members too.

I am happy to recommend the hotel ad would be happy to stay here again in future.

I took the photos on my iphone but for some reason my iphone won't allow me to get them off onto the laptop as it usually does so I have added the direct from the phone so cannot turn them around.

Thanks for reading