Review of "Homebase Paint"

published 13/05/2006 | heather2209
Member since : 24/08/2005
Pro Excellent Coverage
Cons Quite Expensive

"Gorgeous!!"

Imagine moving into a new house, that you thought was perfect; only to discover the previous occupants had given it a quick makeover to sell it. Well that was our situation.
Anyway onto the review. The kitchen we have inherited is a maple style with chrome handles, charcoal worktops and reddish brown paint. We are stuck with the units becuase of our finances, but as for the paint it had to go.
I liked the idea of a red paint to match in with the kitchen, but on a closer look in all of the local diy stores/ chains all we could find were orange/ reds. pink/ reds and brown/ reds .
I had almost given up the battle and was going to go for one of the dulux specially mixed paints to achieve the colour I wanted. But i battled with the idea of forking out nearly 30GBP for a tin of Volcanic Splash and deicded to have one last look. I decided to go to Homebase (I had not tried there as I believe it to be a little on the expensive side!). However i nearly jumped for joy when I saw this little baby in the aisle. Not only was it the right shade of real red, but it was also in their kitchen/ bathroom range. EXCELLENT!!
Anyway more about the paint is needed. I purchased a 2.5ltr tin for 13.49 (half the price of the dulux alternative that I would have had) The container is clear, so you can see the colour of the paint on the inside, however I would go with the colour cards, as it is more realistic of the final finish. The container certainly looks the business and easily stacks up to its competitors on its stop and buy me appeal.
As the name suggests the paint is ideally situaited for kitchens and bathrooms. The blurb for the product states that it is a specially formulated washable emullsion that is moisture, stain and grease resisting

COVERAGE - Excellent, we only did one coat in the kitchen and it has given an excellent finish, which is very pleasing to the eye

PAINTABILILTY-(Probably not the right word, but I can't think of any other) Well from my point of view it was dead easy, my husband did the painting (heehee;) ). Well most of it , I did help with some of the cutting in as it was taking him forever and a day to complete. But the paint was dream to work with it went on so easy. None of those annoying little lumps that I have noticed in some paints!! We used a 4inch roller for the most as there are loads of little nooks and crannys in the kitchen and anything bigger would not have been practical.

FINAL IMPRESSION.
Well how about this, | must be pleased with the product as I have just spent 2hrs this afternoon, painting the chimney breast in the front room with it. But that needs another coat, as I went over a very dark disgusting brown. 2 hours i hear you say, to paint a chimney breast!!! Well let me tell you most of that was spent on masking off from the rest of the walls and firepalce, and getting up and down on the chair.

Notes On The Colur Range
I presume that the rest of the paint in the Kitcen and Bathroom Finish, is a easy to use as Gorgeous. So here is the list to get you thinking about your next decorating day!!

Waterbaby
Neutral
Stone
and
GORGEOUS

There seems to be something for everyone.

• mumsymary published 15/05/2006
    Its amazing how much difference a lick of paint makes ,
  • Jossland published 14/05/2006
    the bath was very white when I moved into my place. my first wash the water was milk colour! they put emulsion white at the bottom of the bath to hide dark marks!!!!
  • newty1977 published 14/05/2006
    Wow ... just one lick of paint to look good ... that is rare !! good review ;-)