Homelands (England)

Homelands (England)

Review of "Homelands (England)"

published 19/01/2001 | Deviant
Member since : 16/08/2000
Pro good music
Cons english weather, dodgy sound system
Headliners
Booze and nosh
Variety of music
Accessibility to various stages
Facilities (campsite, toilets, creche, etc.)

"sun, mud and dodgy sound systems"

I have been to homelands for the last 2 years now and have had a variable experience of the festival scene.

There are various tents from various clubs reflecting a huge choice of dance music from Drum n Bass to tribal Trance. The cost is around £45 a ticket plus with Ticketmaster (I hate them) plus booking fee.

Getting to Winchester by car is simple and the directions are labelled on route, parking the car was easy as well. There is a big walk up the hill then you find the bowl where tents and fair ground attractions await you.

The first year was perfect, good music, good atmosphere, and great weather. The pick of the evening for me was Laurent Gaurnier as the man was on form with a BLINDING set. Paul Van Dyk struggled and the set was disaster as the sound system was so quiet after the Chemical Brothers obliterated it.

Last year was simple awful and that was due to the weather. The night out was ruined wet, aching joints (the body kind) from dancing in the cold, just a plain mess is definitely not my idea of fun. Even eating a dirty burger seemed a luxury just keep myself warm. Driving home in my BOXERS was new for me, as I couldn’t wear soaking clothes in my friend’s new car, so that was PANTS for an ending. At least the car was warm after it heated up!

Even in the cold and wet I still managed to enjoy parts of the night like watching Public Enemy play and they were the mutts nuts although the river flowing through the tent did alarm me at one point. The biggest disappointment on the night was the Sasha and Digweed sets, I have a lot of time for those guys and am really into that style of music but the decibel level was far to low!

The Bacardi tent seems the better purchase for drinks (and not because I like Bacardi a lot) as they are just poured out and not measured, so it seems a touch of the European influence.
After drinking far too much the men’s toilets were very good but that is because they covered most of Matterly Bowl Arena

My advice is to buy tickets at the last moment when you know the weather is going to be okay as it makes so much difference. And please Homelands organisers turn the sound up!

• Lizzy1 published 24/04/2003
    Good op. I agree with turning up the tunes a bit but otherwise it is excellent. To be honest after last year, I wasn't going to bother going this year (it will be the 4th time this year) but as it draws near, I know that I won't be able to miss it. Will You?? Liz :)
  • MissDirect published 25/03/2002
    A good op, I would have liked to read more though!
  • DrDope published 29/01/2001
    I couldn't have said it better myself as I have been for the last two years too... Still quality music, yes they do need to turn the sound up a noch.

Product Information : Homelands (England)

Listed on Ciao since: 17/07/2000