Review of "Honda CBR600F4"

published 23/08/2001 | Brewster
Member since : 23/08/2001
Pro well built, reliable, practical and comfortable.
Cons A bit bland
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"CBR600 - old faithful"

In 1987 Honda introduced the CBR600, which is one of the longest running motorcycle models. Most bikes are redesigned and given a new model name, the CBR has had three major revisions and kept it name. This is probably because the CBR was the top selling motorcycle in most years since its introduction and although the latest looks vastly different from the first it is still, at heart, a CBR - which is a bike that is well built, reliable, practical, comfortable and at the same time one of the best sports bikes in its capacity.

I have had a CBR600FP for two years. I bought it with 24,000 miles on the clock, to replace an earlier model, a CBR600FJ. I use the bike as my main transport so I wanted a bike that would rack up the miles while being reliable, comfortable but still able to chase sports bikes when the mood takes me.

The bike is a combination of a good engine and a good chassis. The engine produces enough power that it can be ridden quickly using its mid range but needs revving to get the most out of it.

The handling is good, although there is a slight feeling of something not quite right - sort of a loose feeling - from the front end. This may be just my bike and it is not particularly noticeable, most people who have ridden the bike have not noticed anything wrong. The riding position, although reasonably sporty, is comfortable over long distances. What does detract slightly from the sports bike feeling is you feel like you are sitting on the bike rather than in the bike - such as on bikes like the earlier GSXRs.

Although it is a fast, good handling bike it doesn't encourage you to let loose in the same way an FZR or GSXR does. It is a bit bland and Hondaish but will still run with the best of them when the red mist descends.

My bike has now covered over 41,000 miles. So far it has never let me down, starting first time summer or winter. The engine still feels happy being taken to the red line on a regular basis. It is serviced once a year, and I change the engine oil every 2,000 miles. Since I have had the bike it has had the cam chain replaced (they go at about 24,000 miles), one drive chain and sprocket set, a replacement exhaust system and rear shock (they loose their damping after about 20,000 miles) and a lot of tyres (Avon Azaros are the best tyre I have found for the CBR). The finish on the bike is also holding up well. The bike is used in all weathers and not cleaned that often, but a quick degrease and hose down has the bike shining – well, not like new but it does look good for a nine year old bike. Honda quality also shows up with little touches like all the levers still working smoothly with very little wobbling, all the panels come off and go back on easily – and fit back on accurately.

I am now considering replacing my bike, and I can’t think of any other choice other than a newer model CBR600, an FX or FY. Deep down I think I want an R6 or GSXR600 (or, if I forget about running costs - an R1 or GSXR1000), but I don’t think either will still shine after a couple of winters use and how strong will the engine feel after 40,000 miles? CBRs hold their value well and when looking for one the condition and history is more important that low mileage, and as there are so many about you should be able to find a good one.

• darkangelwing published 30/06/2006
    Good review
  • Hoethir published 14/12/2005
    Nice review, a very good description of the bike. -=- Hoethir -=-
  • marley published 06/04/2002
    like this opinion sound a decent bike