Honda CG-125

Road Bike - 124.91 ccm

Review of "Honda CG-125"

published 26/02/2001 | mrbibbly
Member since : 05/02/2001
Pro Cheap,versatile,easy to maintain and economical starter bike
Cons No-frills,zero cred
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"Basic is the way forward"

I bought one of these a few years ago,having taken out a bank loan and deciding upon the means of transport.

I hadn't decided until I went into a bike showroom and saw a black/dark grey CG-125 revolving on a turntable,from that moment on I knew I had to have that bike...

This is a good,cheap,reliable and economic basic starter bike.It's fuel consumption is absolutely incredible at an average of 116mtg.I could travel to work and back each day for a few quid a week.Hey it's hardly a Ducati,but at those prices,who'd grumble?

I managed to maintain it very easy,the parts are all cheap and easy enough to fit;everything seems really easily accessable.The chain is protected by a guard,so it was a low-maintenance affair.Oil changes and clutch adjustment seemed easy;who needs a garage doing expensive servicing when you have the trusty Honda owners manual and toolkit?

The bikes speed isn't awsomely high,but to tell you the truth you aren't looking for speed being a learner.It is great in towns,and can pull away at traffic lights faster than most cars.

The dials are basic,no fuel guage,and only an kickstart,but this is a no-frills bike.

The bike is great to ride,easy to maintain,cheap and remotely good looking with great consumption to boot.What can I say,I still look back at it with fond memories (sob!)

• byter published 15/07/2003
    Having ridden a cg125-w for nearly a year now doing 40 miles a day, I think this review has it spot on. One thing not mentioned that there is a electric start version available now, aswell as the kickstart version.
  • HappyBunny published 31/07/2001
    Thanks for this. I'm doing my CBT on sunday, but haven't decided on a bike yet. Will bear this one in mind though.