Review of "Honda HR-V"

published 29/08/2005 | BlackSmokeSal
Member since : 06/05/2004
Pro Good sized car, height and space but not overly large
Cons A bit tinny and plasticy
not rated
Safety
Spaciousness
Road Handling
Customer service

"HRV - highly recommended vehicle! 10/10"

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a 51 plate HRV in supersonic blue about a month or so ago and I haven't regretted it for a moment despite the fact that I was losing an MX5 for it.

So having gone from a sports car to a high riding vehicle as Honda proclaimed it to be, I was not disappointed. It handles well for it's size. It is more like a super-mini than a 4x4, certainly not having the weight of one. It corners pretty well (and bear in mind that I am comparing it to a sports car), and the VTEC 1.6 engine is not slow either. Ok, it's not as nippy as an MX5 but believe me, it has left a few people gobsmacked at lights when it has nipped away much quicker than the average SUV. Even my friends, as passengers, have been very impressed by the smooth and almost silent at times, ride. They even commented that going over sleeping policemen wasn't as bad as usual in the back. They weren't thrown upwards like usually happens, but then I guess that is the suspension and being so much higher set from the wheels.

It has good fuel consumption comparatively for an SUV ... making a good 340 miles or so to a tank. The air con (which is standard) doesn't seem to send the revs flying up either which is common, so encourages you to use it. They are a good spec for an SUV - standard air con, electric windows front (no windows in 3 door version, some electric windows in higher spec 5 door car, which is 10cm longer and a bit spacier in rear). Good double glove compartment, spacious when seats are down in rear via 50/50 seat split. Electric windows switch to flat against car for parking. Passenger and Driver airbags as standard. CD upgrade in some cars - mine has Honda upgrade - very good.

Benefits - great height above other drivers, so you feel safe with good visibility. Excellent styling - lovely shape and great fun to drive despite it's size. It's quite a head turner too as there aren't that many about compared to most SUVs.

Negative points - ok well so far not so many as far as I can see. Just one or two... Firstly I think the interior is a bit plasticy for a Honda - surprisingly so, and the car doors sound tinny when you close them with any force!
Secondly there are only 2 seats in the rear (this is true in both the 3 and 5 door cars). So it is a 4 person car - 4 seatbelts.
Thirdly and finally - visibility could be a little better out of the rear but this is the case with all SUVs. I testdrove quite a few before deciding on the HRV.

I am afraid that the looks, the engine, the fact it was a Honda, and it's reasonable price were what won me over. I haven't regretted it at all ... it's the perfect car for someone who needs just that bit extra space that an ordinary car doesn't provide.

This review was read 12053 times and was rated at

• fruitloop19 published 29/08/2005
    hi there nice review you've done keep going.