Review of "Honda VTR1000"

published 07/09/2001 | SimonL
Member since : 07/09/2001
Pro Handling, Feel, SOUND!!!, Price
Cons Fuel Consumption, Suspension
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"Found my perfect bike at last"

I purchased one of these second hand in March this year and have been delighted with my choice of this super all-rounder ever since.
It's comfy to ride, it sounds great (although aftermarket cans make it sound better), handling is good, and can pull away well in higher gears.
I spent most of the last few years blasting around on a Fireblade. And short blasts they were too. Anytime longer than an hour on a Blade is painful for your backside. The Firestorm is perfect for me. It's an excellent compromise for anyone into bikes that doesn't quite have the necessary funds to splash out on a Ducati but still craves for the throb of a twin....and throb it does!
Don't get me wrong; it's not a poor man's bike by any means. The usual Honda high build quality shines through as always.
With that said, it does have it's quirks. As other owners have mentioned, fuel consumption is abysmal. 100 miles/tank if you are lucky.
The new model does have a bigger tank now, well...2 litres bigger anyway.
It also has a tendancy to 'Pop' every now and then as well, but this a normal feature of long stroke bore engines. Engine cut-outs can happen too.
Handling as said earlier is good, but can be improved by raising the rear suspension slightly. Whilst on the subject of suspension, it's hands up at this point. This is one feature of the bike that for me is a black mark. Honda could have done a better job with the standard Showa mono-shock it has to be said. You certainly feel every bump that the road throws up at you.
Apart from that, make sure you fit a rear hugger to keep things nice and clean and you're away.
Don't let the down points put you off....every bike has some.
It really is a great twin for the money conscious rider.
I still want a 916....but this will keep me happy till such times come along.

• cashman44 published 11/06/2004
    Ilike the big Hondas my self, some interesting information in your review, used to own a VF 1000 F a few years back.
  • wiggglypufff published 11/09/2001
    Good first op, which I have finally been able to rate. I look forward to reading more from you, thanks, Karen
  • GraingerN published 08/09/2001
    Hi and welcome to Ciao, if you leave me a quick note in my guestbook I will happily come and rate your op when the ratings system is running again. Thanks, Nichola