tattie123 3

tattie123

Member since:08.10.2006

Caramel dream or is it a nightmare?

26.03.2007

Advantages:
quick and easy, when you most need it to be

Disadvantages:
bitter burnt sugar

20 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Craigshadow12
  2. sarahjones87
  3. Katieshaz
  1. SASO1
  2. Jenny28
  3. salem_witch
and a further member

After a long hard day at work, there is nothing that I like more than having a long hot bath, snuggling up in my dressing gown and letting the stresses and strain of the day ebb away. Sometimes that bath on its own does not do the trick and I need just a bit of help to make sure that I get a good night sleep so that I can start again when the alarm goes off in the morning

I have drunk Horlicks Light Chocolate Malt on many occasions to help me do this. It's nice and warming and does help me get to sleep.

Horlicks is a malt based drink. The original drink was made with hot milk, but a while ago they introduced Horlicks Light that is made with boiling water. It is much easier to use as you only need to boil the kettle and is lower in fat that the original. I am not too keen on the malted variety as it is quite an acquired taste.

As I really like the Horlicks Light Chocolate Malt variety, I thought that I would give the new Horlicks Light a go. They have now introduced a new flavour, Horlicks Light Caramel Dream to the range and as it was 2 for £3, I thought it was an absolute bargain and got the 2 tubs. This is the variety that I will be reviewing today.

The packaging looks good. The front of the tub depicts the Man in the Moon asleep, with Do Not Disturb written beneath. There is a really easy to use flip top lid in an attractive caramel colour. The box states that the drink is "Low in Fat, Rich in Calcium, Helps a Restful Nights Sleep and Just add water". All of the things that you are looking for in a malted drink. The reverse gives you Tips for Restful Sleep. I believe that there are different tips on different packs, but on mine it tells you to write down all the worries of your day before you go to bed and then say goodbye to them. I have a friend who does this and apparently it works!

Before I let you know what I think of this flavour, here's the list of ingredients that make up Horlicks Light Caramel Dream:

Wheat Flour
Salt
Lactose
Acidity Regulator
Vitamins C, Niacin, B6, B2, A, Folic Acid, D and B12

There are 117 calories per 32g serving, 4.7grams of Protein, 22.2g of Carbs, 1.0g fat, 1.0g fibre and 0.22g sodium.

Definitely low fat, but not suitable for vegetarians or children under 12 months of age apparently.

So what do I actually think?

When you lift the lid, you are hit with the very pleasant aroma of nice sweet caramel and malt that is generated from the powder within. The smell in itself is comforting and relaxing.

Inside you will find a small blue plastic scoop. To make the drink, put 2-3 scoops of the power into a mug and add boiling water. I used the 3 scoops as I have fond that with the chocolate variety it could be a bit watery when only using the 2. Before I add the water I like to mix mine into a paste with a little milk. This makes the Horlicks extra creamy and frothy.

The made up drink smells gorgeous, nice and warm caramel with a hint of maltiness. However the taste is really odd. I expected it to be warm and sweet, but it is too sweet, almost sickly. The drink coats your tongue with its warm rich velvety texture at first but then it feels as though it has become almost sticky in your mouth. After the initial caramel and malt hit it leaves a really nasty aftertaste that's very much like burnt sugar. I found it really difficult to drink more than a couple of mouthfuls and struggled to drink a mug full. Needless to say I now have 2 tubs of this sat in my cupboard virtually untouched.

Next time I decide on a malted drink, I will give this a miss and revert back to the Chocolates Malt Variety as it is far more palatable and does not have the aftertaste.

Horlicks Light is available in most supermarkets in Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Malt, Caramel Dream and Original Malt varieties. It costs around £2.50 for 500g that will make 15 servings.

For further information about Horlicks visit www.horlicks.co.uk

Craigshadow12 24.07.2007 01:45

Love the review!. Top quality!

sarahjones87 02.04.2007 23:14

i cant stand horlicks!! x

SusanLesley 27.03.2007 00:57

My husband loves Horlicks but I'm afraid I cna't even stand the smell let alone the taste! LOL! Susan