Hormann EPU40

Hormann EPU40

Garage Door

Review of "Hormann EPU40"

published 21/12/2007 | cootuk
Member since : 16/05/2004
Pro Fast opening/closing, sturdy build,
Cons Men and kids think it's a toy to play with!

"Hormann sectional garage doors - open sesame"

My garage door opening is a whopping 12 1/2ft x 8ft.

The current wooden doors were rotten so a replacement was needed.
Sectional doors seemed the best to buy as I don't want the weight of a roller door above my garage when open, and normal opening doors easily catch the wind at this size. A normal up-and-over door, in my opinion, is getting a bit too wide at almost 13ft.

Hormann were recommended to me from other satisfied customers rather than competitors like Henderson and Garador.
Looking on the net many companies will deliver (waiting time about 8 weeks) but not many fit as well. The doors and motor alone would cost over £1100 on the net. So off I trot to my local shed man and start the negotiations. We eventually settled for the Hormann EPU40 13ft door.

Total price fully fitted including a Hormann opener and two remotes was £1500. Fitting was done in a morning. I thought about a diy fit which is pretty easy but long winded, but for £400 I wasn't going to have the hassle.
The 13ft door was fitted inside the garage and an infill created above the door to the roofline. The fittings are all sturdy and well machined.

Insulated, well constructed, and fast opening. The latest design has rubber seals to stop fingers getting caught in the section joints, and also detects and autostops if it hits an object when it lowers. Emergency manual opening is available from inside.
The closed position also locks into an anti-jamb position to stop burglars levering it up.

This is so easy. We used to open garage, open doors from inside, drive out, close doors, lock garage, open gate drive away. Now we open gate, click to open garage, drive out, click to close, and drive away. So much easier in the pouring rain or windy.

Now even the wife volunteers to put the car away at night!

• dharma.roy published 21/12/2007