Review of "Horseware Rhino Pony Turnout"

published 28/01/2005 | Stompie
Member since : 02/10/2002
Pro Completely waterproof, cosy, good fit, durable.
Cons none
Style
Fit

"A Rhino for a Pony."

My elderly pony’s Rhino turnout rug is now in the middle of it’s third winter of everyday wear. I’ve always admired Horseware rugs, they’re smart and tough, but I thought they were too expensive. However when we decided to buy Fury a rug the Rhino was the only one in the shop small enough to fit. As the weather was getting colder, and as mail order can take a wee while we decided to stop dithering and just buy it. We paid around £80.00 for a medium weight 5’ rug, I'm sure it could be found for less if you were to shop around.

When we got home and I tried it on Fury, I realised how light it is. The children can carry it around the yard and put it on him (he’s 12.2hh) without any problems. It has a 1000 denier rip-stop polyester outer and 200g filling with a nylon lining, so it slides over a hairy pony easily and doesn’t rub. It is fastened with two clips at the front and cross surcingles underneath. There are no leg straps, just a fillet string at the back. I prefer this, I always feel that leg-straps are difficult to adjust accurately – too long and there’s a danger of legs getting caught and too tight they would easily rub. At the time I bought this it came in one colour – navy blue with a green binding.

It has, as I said, been in daily use through out the last 3 winters; it has never leaked or slipped in that time, and I have to confess that I’ve never washed it or had it cleaned either. It’s a perfect fit on my pony, and doesn’t rub on his shoulders at all. He’s kept in a field with lots of trees and the outer is tough enough not to snag or tear. He seems to have plenty freedom of movement, although as he’s now 38 years old he doesn’t gallop about much, a sedate trot is about all he manages these days!

The Rhino is available in heavyweight (370g filling) the medium as described above and a lightweight version for summer with no filling.

Horseware make a huge variety of rugs, both stable and turnout and have now branched into riding wear. If you are interested in further information the Horseware web address is:

www.horseware.com

• luckyarchers published 04/02/2005
    I don’t gallop around much these days either, so I appreciate the need for a warm durable coat for me too! Best wishes to Fury. Lucky x
  • MAFARRIMOND published 04/02/2005
    A very useful review for all pony owners. Maureen
  • OhCarol published 31/01/2005