Horse Wear - Equestrian

Review of "Horseware Rhino Pony Turnout"

published 26/08/2017 | LiveMusicLoverLyn
Member since : 23/03/2014
:( So sad and will miss you all. Posting and rating to the end as a few days off work. Thanks for all the reads & rates, much appreciated esp E rates, every E I give is well deserved. Ciao for now everyone.....
Pro Lightweight and easy to put on and off, anti rub, well made, keeps pony dry
Cons None
Style
Fit

"~*~ Rhino a Rug fit for a Pony ~*~"

Horseware Rhino Pony Turnout Rug

I am pleased to be able to review this rug for you here and as well as discussing the attributes and suitability of the rug which was used on some of our ponies I will also suggest some alternative uses and the durability of the brand and this rug in particular:

Horseware:

Founded by Tom and Carol MacGuinnes in 1985 makes Horseware a relatively young company in the frequently stuffy old fashioned horse world. However, they took the horse world by storm when they introduced their “Rambo” horse rug, which has proven to be the rug that sets the standard for modern equestrian clothing design.

Other rugs were soon being introduced to the range and I bought the Rhino turnout rug when I needed a good in between rug for our Section A Welsh Pony.

Claim:

‘We believe that because we create, we innovate. And through innovation we aim to make a difference to the lives of you and your horses.’

Environmental Statement:

‘We’re committed to protecting the environment, so to help keep our world beautiful we get 100% of our energy requirements for our Irish factory from renewable Irish wind power.’

‘Last year, (2016) we saved the equivalent of 5,833 trees by using renewable energy.’

The Rhino:

What sold me on the rug was the satisfied friends who already had Rambo rugs. Designed with a higher neck to eliminate pressure points and rubs at the withers and a V front to prevent shoulder rub the rug is also waterproof and breathable and made from 1000 double denier polypropylene outer with a polyester lining that is designed to be anti-rub. Designed with a tail flap for added stay dry security and warmth, the rug incorporates cross over surcingles two easy clip and quick release chest straps and these days the Rhino also comes with rear leg straps. There are also loops should you wish to fit a fillet string at the back.

We found that the rug lived up to its claims of being rub free and waterproof and that it was always quick and easy to put on and take off.

Use:

I had carefully measured our little pony for a rug before making my purchase on-line from Robinsons and was delighted when the rug arrived and fitted will after a few minor adjustments to the adjustable straps. I particularly like the design of the higher neck and tail flap and was confident that our clipped pony would be comfortable, warm and dry when turned out for the day in this rug. Initially, he did suffer a little slippage at the rear, but this was eliminated by fitting a surcingle which is a strap that hangs at the back so that it resembles a small skipping rope and goes under the pony’s tail and manages to balance the rug and hold the sides down. This worked a treat and we were happy. I used the rug for three years on Tom pony sometimes needing another rug underneath in very cold weather and because he was grey (white) I also used a Ridry neck cover which tucked in under the rug for much of the year.

I loved that the rug obviously kept him cosy and happy and that when I removed it overnight it would drip dry and be dry for the next day. Occasionally in very wet driving rain a little water would get in around the edges, but generally the rug was keeping him warm and dry. When my daughter outgrew Tom we bought a slightly larger pony for her to go on with and lovely 21 year old Tom went to teach another little girl how to ride. I was delighted to discover that despite being slightly taller and a narrower shape that many of Tom’s clothes that I had acquired fitted the new pony Section B Welsh Pony. Indeed, after a couple of wears you would have thought I’d bought the Rhino Turnout for her, it soon moulded to her shape. Again the rug saw action in cold wet weather, keeping its wearer warm and dry. When we sold her onto a new home, we kept the rugs and I still have a stack of pony rugs stored away several years later!

The Rhino was bought into action when we later rescued a rabbit that was going to be pts because no one wanted a boy rabbit. We used the rug to cover his house in very cold and wet weather. It was also used in an emergency one day when in driving rain I needed to cover a run that had a hen and chicks in where the rain was blowing into their house and they could not escape it. I carefully attached the rug over the run and gave them fresh dry bedding and soon they were cosy again. Since the rabbit has long gone and I now use the rug quite often as extra warmth and dryness for my Eglu chicken house and run which has a lightweight cover, but the Rhino rug does a much better job and is easily secured with a combination of its pony straps and bungee straps.

Our rug is blue with green trim and straps although today, I see they come in various choices of colours, I don’t think there was a choice when we bought ours.

The anti-rub and breathable elements of the design were essential attributes in my buying decision and the rug always performed as anticipated.

Price & Availability:

Horseware are a popular well stocked brand and readily available from equestrian outlets. Price wise may depend on the size and with an RRP of £109.95 the rug can be found for under £100.00 from several outlets such as the Saddlery Shop (.co.uk) for £98.95.

~*~

Conclusion:

For an initially purchase cost of well under £100, the rug worked extremely hard to keep to different ponies warm and dry and comfortable and has also worked extremely well for alternative uses. Our rug must now be over 20 years old and despite a little fading in the colour it is still in great condition and I could pop it onto a pony tomorrow and know the pony would be warm and dry.

Stars:

5/5

I have borrowed a couple of photos from the internet as I don't have any to hand of our ponies in their rugs. One is a very useful measuring diagram.