sun-is-sh... 4

sun-is-shining

Member since:01.06.2009

I want a room, cheap and with breakfast.

17.06.2009

Advantages:
great website

Disadvantages:
none

6 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. morticiaaddams
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. paulpry118
  3. tractor-boy

Travelling is my big passion as you might have seen from my other reviews. During University time trips like 5months backpacking in Asia are not possible but I can always find time for a quick weekend in a great city.
I'm just about to book 2 nights in Bratislava and you can follow me through the process.

What is it?
--------------------------
www.hostelworld.com is a website to find and book accommodation in over 170 countries. Property types start with campsites over hostels to budget hotels so there's something for every taste.
The website can be used in over 20 languages and with the currencies Pound, Euro and US Dollar.

For who is it?
--------------------------
Everyone can use it, no registration or card is needed. You don't have to be under 26 or a student, no ISIC, nothing. It's free to use, quick, easy and reliable.
They don't even ask for my age or occupation.

How to use it!
--------------------------
So, I want to nights in a cheap hostel in Bratislava. I select on the front page 'Slovakia' and 'Bratislava'. My dates are the 24th & 25th of September, that goes just under the location. I select 2 nights and one traveller.
2 seconds till the results page comes up. It's in Euro and I have to change the currency to Pound. One click and that's done.
The hostel should be cheap so my sorting category is 'price'.

Hostel Possonium comes up with 10Pound per night and an overall rating of 83%. Sounds ok, let's have a closer look.
The Pound is for a night in a 10 bed mixed dorm. If you point with the courser on the price it shows you how many beds are still available. Oh, I have to be quick, only 2 cheapies left.
On the site I can find the description of the hostel, the facilities and photos.
Everything is easy to find and understand, photos are good quality.

That looks fine, now a quick look at the reviews and ratings

The Rating System!
--------------------------
A good - but sometimes misleading - way to judge the hostels before booking is to check the ranking. Percentage points are given on the results page with 100 being the best. This rating is divided into the following subcategories:
- Character
- Security
- Location
- Staff
- Fun
- Cleanness
These categories are quite open and the results vary from author to author, what for you is an exceptable unfriendliness of the staff is for me inexcusable, what for me are just a few stains on the sheet is for you a major problem etc.
However, this problem is solved with the review section. User can write a short text about the hostel and their experience there. Some are just hilarious (no fresh fruit for breakfast in a 10Pound per night hostel in Bratislava etc) but you'll get the general idea.

The reviews are all ok, so let's go to the booking.

The Booking!
--------------------------
The booking is easy, I have to fill in my details and chose the payment form. All major cards are excepted. You don't pay the full amount now, only a 10% deposit plus 1 Pound service charge. For me that's 3 Pound with 19Pound due on check in.

That was incredibly easy, self explanatory and quick. It took me less than 10min to find and book a decent hostel in Bratislava.

Own Experience!
--------------------------

My experience with hostelworld.com was always positive. I used the site to find and book accommodation in Spain, Italy, Germany, England and Ireland. The selection of hostels is great, they vary from cheap & grumpy to luxurious & incredibly expensive. The cheap & clean category is normally the one I'm going for, less comfort for less money is a motto that stick from my time at university.
The navigation is easy and I especially like the feature that you can sort the results by price, rating and availability. The map is also very useful, on my first trip to London we ended up staying in a hostel so far away from the city centre that we had to pay more for the subway card than for our rooms.

Highly recommended, 10 out of 10!

morticiaaddams 18.06.2009 02:33

Very well-structured review, here's an E! :)

CPTDANIELS 17.06.2009 22:23

Well written review.

moontheloon09 17.06.2009 21:41

very personal and nicely written.....steve