Hotel Holiday Village, Sarigerme, Dalaman

Hotel Holiday Village, Sarigerme, Dalaman

Review of "Hotel Holiday Village, Sarigerme, Dalaman"

published 07/06/2010 | lindsey3uk
Member since : 25/10/2009
Pro Extremely well kept hotely, many things to do, cheap.
Cons Rooms were very standard and in need of repair.
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Holiday of a lifetime - Hotel holiday Village - Sarigerme, Turkey"

I have never been on an all inclusive holiday before. I have only ever been self catered and so wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this holiday. My husband had actually previously visited this resort when it first opened and it came highly recommended by him and his family. We went here for a week just recently and I wanted to share my experience with you and it was a very enjoyable one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location and background
Holiday Village is owned and run by first choice and is set in the small town or Sarigerme, Dalaman. Flying into Dalaman airport you will take a short 20 minute drive into the resort of Sarigerme which is host to a small amount of shops, bars and restaurants and its own beach. Personally I would say the village of sarigerme left a lot to be desired and a whole trip to the 'village' took around 40 minutes and this was visiting every shop in the parade. The people of Sarigerme however were very friendly and welcoming and unlike in other countries tradesmen did not bother you for their business they were just pleased to see you in their shops. The Village is about a 30 minute walk from the hotel but a short 5 minute cab trip which cost 10 Turkish liras (loosely exchanged about £4.00). Apart from that there wasn't much more to do unless you went much further out.
The hotel
On first inspection the hotel looked fantastic. More of a hotel it is a complex with apartment buildings on it, Lots of apartment buildings.
The complex has 18 swimming pools all lifeguarded) both large and small including slide pools and indoor pool and 1 adult pool. There are thousands upon thousands of sun beds all around them and we never had any problem at all getting a sun bed around any pool. There are sun beds both in shaded and non shaded areas which is fantastic for the children. There are 3 children's paddling pools which are a lot shallower than the other pools. This was great for my daughter who is only 20 months and we were able to sit on the side and sun bathe whilst she was only 2 foot away in very shallow water, having the time of her life.
Located within walking distance from anywhere there were bars where you could get all sorts of drinks. The only beer they supplied was efes, a local larger and all inclusive drinks included spirits, all soft drinks including coca cola and fruit juices and cocktails which changed daily. I was very impressed with the range of drinks they had as I expected to only be able to get very basic drinks such as a vodka and coke but was very pleased when I was able to have a cocktail or a brandy and coke. All coke was branded coca cola and sprite etc and bottles of water were supplied in their thousands in fridges where you could just take as many as you need.

These bars turned into snack bars in the day where from 10.30 until 4.20 you were able to grab something light to eat without having to visit the restaurant.

The complex is actually home to two hotels. They intertwine into one and work as one but they are called the palace side and the tropical side. For each side there is a main pool, a kids club, a restaurant, a host of shops and an evening entertainment stage. Regardless of what side you stayed on you were able to visit any part of the complex and eat in either of the restaurants. The point of having two sides of the hotel is unclear to me as everyone mingled I can only presume it is for organisation purposes for the hotel staff.

The rooms of the hotel were very basic and in need of some renewals in parts. The furniture looked old and dated and it wasn't as homely as some hotels I have visited. For the standard of the facilities the rooms do let it down somewhat but for the time spent in the rooms they served their purpose and for that we were grateful. All standard rooms sleep at least 4 and come with a bath and shower, a balcony, a mini fridge for you own use, a television, a hairdryer and most importantly air conditioning. Upgraded rooms come with a kids den or a Jacuzzi bath.

The hotel complex has its own beach which is accessible only through the hotel. It is not the best beach I have been to for white sand and blue waters but it was so peaceful there and within walking distance from our room. There are sun beds and parasols out on the beach for you to use we took advantage of these peaceful times when our daughter was in the crèche.
On site entertainment.

I have never been to a holiday camp which is so well organised. There was so much entertainment going on that there was nobody left bored. Every night there was an array of shows in the ampi theatres and in the bars there was other entertainment including bingo and quizzes. Some of the shows we saw on our week there included Cinderella, abba the tribute, rock and rumble amongst others. These were all really well presented and although the entertainers were not the best singers they were fantastic entertainment and my daughter certainly enjoyed every minute of it. There were always spaces in the theatres to sit and drinks and food were available to take into them.

During the day around the pool there was loads going on. There were daily quizzes, competitions for kids, water polo, water aerobics and loads loads more. The entertainment team was so friendly and, all comical there were people round the pool laughing all day! It felt like one big family.

Kids club was available for children of all ages. They went in age groups and unfortunately I cannot comment on the kids clubs for the older children as my child went to the twinkle stars which was aimed at children 0-36 months. This was actually a crèche which had to be booked in advance. When we got there we went and booked her in for a few sessions and luckily we got her booked in but sessions go quickly as they only allow 3 children per supervisor. The prices for this were reasonable as we paid £7 for a two hour session. My daughter went every day and the facilities inside the crèche were amazing. My daughter got given lots of goodies for being part of the crèche including a t shirt and hat, a drinks bottle, some puzzles and every day she came home with something she had made. The staff in the crèche were so friendly and she loved them. I really felt comfortable leaving her with them especially when she was so happy to be going there.

There is an onsite entertainment room which had a bowling alley and internet cafe in it. The bowling alley was pricy considering it was such a small one as we paid 20 Turkish liras for 10 frames which for two of us took about 20 minutes.

The whole complex and its entertainment was very geared up towards young children and families. All shows were child friendly and the hustle and bustle of the bars at night would not suit a couple looking for a quiet holiday. There are lots of children running around and playing games which for a young family is lovely but does not suit everyone.

On the beach water sports were available such as paragliding and banana boats. These looked fun and fairly reasonable but I thought I would give it a miss as I am not a great fan of the sea.
Other on site facilities

The health Spa - here you can have a Turkish bath and massage. Prices ranged from 50 Turkish liras to 500 Turkish liras. We considered visiting the spa on our anniversary which was celebrated on holiday but when we went to check out the prices we were hounded by the man who ran the spa. He was Turkish gentleman who wouldn't take no for an answer. We simply asked him if he could wait until we could get a time when daisy was in the crèche and he couldn't seem to understand why we didn't was our massages NOW. We spent the rest of the holiday avoiding the spa and this man.

Children's park - For times when they are bored on the water they had a park with the normal swings and slides etc which were all really well kept. Daisy loved this as it made a change from the everyday swimming and there were shaded areas for her to sit out of the sun.

Wedding Gazebo - Whilst we were there, there was a wedding happening. They had their hen party there so everyone knew she was getting married and went to cheer her on as she walked up to the wedding gazebo. I'm not sure this would have been my preference of wedding ceremony but the wedding looked beautiful. Unfortunately I cannot comment on price but this facility is avaliable.

Sports and recreation areas - these included 5 a side pitches, basketball courts, climbing poles and more which I am sure I have forgotten to mention. None of the above we had chance to use so again I am afraid I can't comment much on them but they were available.

Free wi fi in the reception areas of the hotel - bonus!!
The staff
I have never met people so dedicated to their jobs. The whole thing was such a large operation with thousands of staff who were all equally friendly and helpful. The staff came in two groups.

First Choice Staff - Staff who ran things like the entertainment, all young English and English Speaking staff. We got to know the young girls who ran the crèche who as I said before were very dedicated to their jobs and friendly. Every member of first choice staff that we passed greeted us and I guess they get told to do this as I don't think I came across anyone who didn't say hello to us or make a fuss of daisy. They were so helpful and polite and there was always someone on hand to help with any troubles and booking things like excursions. There was someone to meet and greet us on every part of our journey to the complex and on the way back.

The entertainment staff put a lot of hard work and effort into their work and came up with some great shows. During the day there were quizzes going on all day hosted by these people and it certainly broke up the day of sun bathing.

Hotel staff - Staff who ran things like the restaurant and the reception, housekeeping and chefs. All local Turkish people who spoke English the best they knew how to. They were so hard working and dedicated it made me feel sorry for them when I was sitting there having a nice time. We seriously didn't want for anything on the holiday and if there was anything we ever needed they were so happy to help. On one occasion my daughter wanted a banana which on this day wasn't on the menu. We only had to mention the banana and suddenly she had 10 bananas to last her all week to take back to the hotel.

The bar staff were overcome with people wanting drinks. They worked quickly and efficiently and I didn't ever wait more than 5 minutes for a drink. The chefs worked in sweltering heats.

The people I was most impressed with was the maintenance staff. There were hundreds of people working to keep the place tidy. Always someone collecting the glasses and cups and an empty glass never sat there for more than 2 minutes. There was always someone cutting the grass or pruning the hedges, cleaning the sun beds or washing the floors. There was an attendant to every toilet and every toilet was absolutely immaculate, even those around the pools. There was always trivial things like toilet paper which seems to go missing in every public toilet I enter and I was so impressed with their attitude which was certainly a happy one. Happy to be there and happy to help, happy to be cleaning up someone else's mess!

Every day we had new towels and every day our room was cleaned from bottom to top. They even did things like fold up our clothes and put our shoes neatly in a row. They made our daughters bed and put all her cuddly toys in a row at the end of her cot and put our tooth brushes back in their holders. They really were thorough and it was really nice to come back to a tidy apartment when you had left it in a mess. We started tidying up ourselves as we learnt what perfectionists they were as we felt bad that they felt they needed to tidy our things away. It was nice though.
The food
The food I was not all that impressed with. It was an all inclusive holiday which meant that the restaurants were buffet style. There was a lot of choice and although most days they did some of the same things they did do specials every day. 5 meals a day was available

Breakfast - a range of fruits, yoghurts and cereals, cooked breakfast (only including Turkish style sausages, scrambled eggs and omelettes, boiled eggs, pan cakes, tomatoes with mozzarella cheese), a range of croissants and pastries, breads and cheeses. When I say a range of I mean an extensive range. The fruit selection was wonderful and there was so much of it. The breads and cheeses were so so fancy it left me wanting something simple.

Snack bar menu (Available at the pool bars) - Chips, Burgers, Hot Dogs, pizza, pasta, salad

Lunch - Hot food and cold salads, varied daily, chips every day, fresh cooked meats and soups, breads and desserts.

Dinner - Huge Selection of dishes including fishes, meats, potatoes, salads, rice, omelettes, fruit, desserts.

Midnight snack - breads and cheeses, fruits, chips, nuggets, various bits and pieces.

I know I can hear you saying why were you not impressed with this? But I think it is because may be it is a personally preference thing and I am fussy. Everything was with something and nothing was plain, you couldn't just have a piece of chicken it came with some weird sauce, they served weird things like calves liver salad and things that just aren't me. At breakfast I was disappointed that I could not just have a bit of bacon and a friend egg and because of this I ended up eating pancakes for breakfast, chips for lunch and chips for dinner.

Having said all that there was so much work that went into the food and the preparation of it must have been massive. There was so much fruit and salad all freshly prepared and desserts came in their thousands! I was pleased to get home to English food though.

Just think this would be a good time to mention that allergies are catered for such as nut and gluten as there are signs up in the restaurant that explains this. If you require assistance speak to the chef - that's what the sign says anyway!

As part of the all inclusive deal you got a visit to each of the a la carte restaurants. We only managed to visit the Turkish restaurant as we only had a week there but this was a lovely meal. In a lovely setting. We did have to book this early in the week though as seats got booked up pretty quickly.
The value for money
We actually got a late deal on this holiday and paid a mere £640 for two adults and an infant (all inclusive) this was hugely cheap and as far as we could tell people had paid much more than this and we just got lucky! At this price I just cannot see how the company could make any money. The amount of staff and the service we received were worth much more than this. And we probably ate and drank this amount alone, that's without the flights. In this respect if you can get a good deal you are extremely lucky as this is an absolute bargain!! I would have definitely paid more like £1300 for the holiday we had and would expect to pay this in the future.
The conclusion
I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a family holiday. If you are looking for something for the kids this is the place to go. They will love it. As far as the food goes, you will find something you like, it is impossible not to. With 18 swimming pools you would be mad not to take your cossie. We didn't spend a penny apart from on the fake tiffany ring I brought and the £30 it cost for the visas to get in the country at the Turkish airport.

Value for money was superb. We had a wonderful family holiday which we more than enjoyed. We will definitely be returning in the future!!

Also posted on dooyoo under lindseyphilpot

• torr published 09/06/2010
    Very good detailed review.
  • mythdata published 08/06/2010
    Exceptional review, but how many pools.:O)
  • MEL0611 published 07/06/2010