Hotel Lille Europe, Lille

Hotel Lille Europe, Lille

Hotel - Avenue Le Corbusier, Euralille, 59777 Lille - 99 Rooms

Review of "Hotel Lille Europe, Lille"

published 15/07/2014 | misspurple7
Member since : 17/08/2010
Spring is springing!
Satisfactory
Pro Location, breakfast, views, friendly staff
Cons Very basic, poor quality rooms with faults. Noisy. Could do better for the price,
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Location, Location, Location"

Location

Hotel Lille Europe is a 3 star hotel situated right next door to the Euralille shopping centre and the main Eurostar station, and a very short walk from the centre of old Lille. The convenience of the location was the main reason for choosing this hotel, that and the fact it was one of the options in the cheap package weekend we booked which included our room for two nights with breakfast and Eurostar return travel from London St Pancras.
First Impressions

The front of the hotel is nothing special and it pretty much blends into the surrounding shopping centre, modern glass and lights. It looks clean and tidy but does scream convenience, rather than luxury. The hotel is in fact a tall skinny building - learning later on that it had 9 floors and only 14 rooms on each but it sort of merges into the rest of the complex so it's hard to get an idea of it's size.

The reception area is tiny with a very small collection of leaflets, just inside the door. Most of the attractions advertised are outside of Lille and there is no literature available on the city that's right on the hotels doorstep which I found a little unhelpful. We intended to browse the literature on our arrival to plan our visit. Instead, after check in we had to head out and find the tourist office.

The reception staff were very friendly and seemed to be expecting us. On giving our name they said our room was ready and handed us the key without any need for booking references or suchlike. They greeted us in French but on picking up that our 'Bonjours' were clearly British ones, helpfully continued the rest of the exchanges in English.

The lifts were quite swanky looking and suggested a hotel of a high quality, perhaps we should have moved our pillows here, because the rooms didn't quite live up to the promise.

The Room

We ordered a double room, which was in fact two single beds pushed together. It consisted of bed(s) , two scruffy tables, a chair, flat screen TV, phone, mini bar and sink, toilet, bath and shower in the bathroom.

The view over the city was good, we could see the park opposite and a reasonable amount of the city skyline. The weekend we visited, there were fireworks in the evening which we watched from the window. Not so worried about Health and Safety as in Britain, the window actually fully opened which was nice, particularly on such a warm weekend as there was no air con. No so great from the point of view that a main road goes straight past the hotel.

Noise was a bit of a factor full stop. These 'sound proof' rooms were far from it. We could hear every footstep from people walking past from their rooms to the lift, and the slam of the doors opening and closing. We could even hear some of peoples conversations! The Eurostar 'ba da ba' before each train announcement was also audible from the room which slowly began to drive us a little crazy.

The bed was comfy with clean white sheets, comfy pillows and one of those horrible thick scratchy blankets that we ditched. For all the noise I actually slept pretty well, though I was so tired I would probably have slept through most things.

There were a good amount of electrical sockets in the room, had they all been working. The one opposite the bed was hanging off the wall so we didn't chance using that. One of the lights was also broken, there were a few wonky fittings in the bathroom and a bit of plasterboard with a gap round it at an odd angle covering the workings under the sink.

The door to the bathroom itself doubled as a full length mirror and was on a sliding mechanism at the top but just sort of hung there and was not attached to anything at the bottom. The result was a screen to hide your modesty in the bathroom but did nothing to mask noises, smells or steam. The shower was sufficient and hot, working on a stopper function from the tap. Much better to use this than the bath which took around a year and a half to fill up.

There were two small sachets of body wash a a soap in the way of previsions, but no tea/coffee making facilities or even notepaper or pens.

A room which at a first glance was basic but clean and functional on closer inspection actually seemed a little bodged and ultimately disappointed.

The room rates vary depending on the times of year, but are charged between 76 and 150 euros per night. Please do check all sites before booking though, as you can get deals for a fraction of this. A nice touch, I thought is that pets are allowed at a rate of 6 euros each. I assume by pets it means dogs, though I found nowhere did it specify, so I guess if you turned up with a python, flamingo or donkey, it's really at their discretion whether to allow them a comfy bed for the night.

Breakfast

Breakfast is served from 7am until 11am in an airy room surrounded by big glass windows allowing you to people watch as you eat which I enjoyed. The breakfast buffet itself is continental, with no cooked offerings. There was a selection of yoghurts, two types of cereal with horrible longlife room temperature milk, bread, ham cheese and conserves, fruit and a selection of very tasty pastries. The coffee was good and there was also a vast choice of teas or hot chocolate. Overall, a pretty good breakfast, but I think my partner would have liked some cooked options. The whole of our time in Lille he was very upset that he just couldn't get a proper bacon sandwich!

We had the breakfast included in our package, but it's not generally included in the room rates and is charged at an extra 9 euros.
Worth it's three stars?

You can't fault Hotel Lille Europe for it's location, that is after all it's main selling point. We chose it based on this, as I'm sure the majority of it's customers do. Never having been to Lille before we wanted a hotel even an idiot could find. Having now explored Lille, it's a very easy city to navigate and not nearly as vast as I had expected. For that reason, if we visit again we will probably look to stay in a hotel slightly less central and go for something a little more luxurious, probably for a similar price. As a hotel as a stop over for Eurostar passengers, it's functional and convenient with friendly staff and a good breakfast. For anyone holidaying, it's probably best to find somewhere else as it's scruffy, basic and noisy with some bodged details that might take the shine off a stay in a lovely city. Not quite up to the quality I'd expect for a 3 star hotel so I'm giving it the two I think it deserves.

Additional Information:
Parking available at 11.50 euros a day
Check from 3pm, Check out by 11am
Website: www.hotel-lille-europe.com – though this is mainly a collection of flattering photographs.
69% positive reviews on tripadvisor

• RICHADA published 26/07/2014
    It doesn't have to be like that. Next to the Chemnitz centre in Germany is the excellent Amber Hotel, serving a very similar purpose but with none of the pitfalls of this one. For me the noise would be a clincher - I'd never get any sleep. R.
  • ljackson24 published 20/07/2014