Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica, Montego Bay

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica, Montego Bay

Review of "Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica, Montego Bay"

published 23/03/2017 | DanniiJ18
Member since : 21/03/2017
Trying to live, plan a wedding and review!
Pro Beautiful grounds and a very peaceful hotel
Cons Not in an area where you could leave the grounds and go for a stroll
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Yah Man!"

Finishing a long day of sunbathing and arriving back at the room on the second day we found these!

Jamaica! A holiday destination that we were desperate to go on. Next decision...which hotel? The hotel that won our vote (and that would win again) was the Riu Palace Jamaica (adults only).

Airport Transfer
We arrived into the country greeted by our very own taxi driver. Carrying our luggage, he led the way to the car with friendly chat asking about our flight. The taxi was arranged by our accommodation. During the 15 minute journey to the hotel he told us how "you don't bring the babies to the Riu Palace - you make 'em!"

First Impression
On arrival at the resort, our bags were taken to our room and we checked in. Check -In was made a lot smoother by the complimentary glass of fizz! We had requested a high floor level sea facing room (picky I know) and we were delighted when our request had been followed through. Our rep greeted us the day that that we arrived, he was an extremely friendly and helpful American chap with a lot of sound knowledge about the country, trips and our resort. He informed us that were allowed to use the facilities at the sister hotel but the guests at that hotel were not allowed to use ours. Although this was good to know, we did visit the hotel and felt it was too over crowded for our liking. The gym is at the next door's hotel so a little jog over would be the perfect warm up!

The Room
Our room was immaculate. Jacuzzi bath, optics and the most amazing view were the first few things I was drawn too. The room was bigger than anticipated with shower area, toilet area, bed and living room area. The larger than average room was decorated very modernly with purple finishing touches. Towels and drinks were changed daily, our room was pristine and the cleaning staff were very friendly throughout the halls. We also had fresh white dressing gowns during the stay which helped me relax in the evening after a hard day's sun bathing!

Food and Drink
My only concern before our holiday was eating breakfast, lunch and dinner for two weeks in the same place. However, this worry soon disappeared when we realised the variation of foods! There is a main dining hall on site but there is also a few different restaurants on site too eg an Italian if you wanted to try something new. We only booked in to the steakhouse one evening because we felt like we should try other foods but the main food hall was excellent We even found ourselves eating at the same table because our waitress was so good! i think this was because my boyfriend enjoyed arriving at our table with his Red Stripe Beer ready and another one was ready in sync with him finishing his final sip. She would hand it over saying "here you go Beer God".The only issue that I had on the visit was sun stroke - nobody's fault but my own! I felt so unwell in the evening I had to sit down by the buffet court. A chef came and brought me some water. Another member of staff helped me to my room. Shortly after, there was a knock at our room door and a chef had come up with trays of food for us because i was too unwell to sit down in the court and eat. It really made me realise that Jamaicans truly are so thoughtful and helpful. During the day, the bar staff recommended the 'Bob Marley' cocktail. I have attached a photo of this - it was so pretty to look at we didn't even want to drink them!

We went on a number of trips including the Dunns River fall, Rick's Cafe and Bob Marley's house. One huge piece of advice that I would give would be to exchange your money to the US Dollar and not the Jamaican Dollar. They accept both but its better value if you use the American Dollar. We only took American Dollars and this was used to pay for the trips at the hotel and in shops within the area.

Jamaica is a truly beautiful country with friendly people. Jah-making-me- crazy Jamaica!!

• jb0077 published 29/05/2017