Review of "Hotpoint RFA52"

published 13/10/2011 | tinkerbellprincess69
Member since : 27/12/2010
Good
Pro Easy to Clean & not too Noisy
Cons Not enough Room between the Shelves to house Tall Products & Not enough Space in General!
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Think trying to Fit a Square into a Circle..."

We recently sold our last LG Fridge Freezer as it was too big for our Kitchen and so had to buy something that would take up less room. I really didn't want to spend a lot on our new one especially in the run up to Christmas so I opted for a Hotpoint model for £279.99 which I think is very reasonable for a Fridge Freezer. The RFA52 model came in White and to be honest I'm not a fan of White fridges, I much prefer a Chrome or Silver look to fit in with my modern Kitchen, but these shades are a lot more expensive so I settled for the White.

The Fridge Freezer stand at about 1.7 Metres tall and 0.5 Metres wide which I think is about normal for a bog standard Fridge Freezer. On the top half there is the Fridge which is made up of 3 shelves which form 4 seperate compartments and also room to store things in the fridge door. I thought this would be more than enough room for our Refrigerator products as we tend to have more Freezer stuff really. But I soon discovered a bit of a problem when it came to putting things onto the shelves in the fridge. The height between each shelf is not big enough to store many products stood upright for example a bottle etc. and instead the only other option is to lie things down flat (which then causes spillages once the products have been opened) or to take up the room in the Fridge door which does get taken up quickly! I have a baby son who loves his Milk and we have to store it in the Fridge door which then leaves little room for any other big sized products. So it is a bit frustrating trying to fit everything in around each other, especially after we've just been shopping.

Moving onto the Freezer section on the bottom half, this is made up of 4 drawers for storing Frozen produce. But unfortunatley we have practically the same problem with the Freezer as we do the Fridge and that is trying to fit everything in! We don't buy tons of shopping, in fact probably a lot less than the average family and yet we still struggle to fit everything in. It becomes a bit like trying to complete a tricky Jigsaw puzzle when trying to fit everything in! Then of course once the drawers are chocker block, you have the difficult task of opening and closing them. Then when it comes time to find anything ... well good luck with that!

The total Freezer capacity is 85 Litres which clearly hasn't proved to be enough for us and we are probably going to have to invest in a bigger Fridge Freezer very soon. On the plus side, it is easy to Clean inside and out. The door is plastic and wipes clean very easily, it is also not too noisy thank goodness (there's nothing worse than a noisy fridge!).

I suppose if you buy very little when you go shopping, then this model might be ok for you. But my judgement of size certainly wasn't very good when it came to buying this as it's just nowhere near big enough for us.

• Nar2 published 13/10/2011
    Would be handy to know if it has adjustable shelves and if its frost free or not?