Hotpoint WMD960G

Hotpoint WMD960G

Freestanding - Front Loading - Energy Efficiency: A - Max Capacity: 8 kg - Width: 59.5 cm

Review of "Hotpoint WMD960G"

published 08/11/2010 | kama0529
Member since : 03/10/2005
I'm here to review products in as honest a way as possible. I will rate any product by those who rate me. If I miss you then just let me know :)
Pro Large drum. 15 wash cycles. Reliable manufacturer. 3 year guarantee.
Cons Expensive
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Hotpoint WMD960G: Top notch washing machine for larger families."

I have had the Hotpoint WMD960P Washing Machine for about a year and, bearing in mind I probably go through about five loads of washing a day (I have a large and dirty family!!), it has certainly been put through its paces. I bought it off of an electrical company on Ebay for £459.00, which is actually more than I wanted to pay, but I trust the Hotpoint name and so preferred to go for quality rather than a cheaper option that may need replacing earlier.

The main body of the washer is indistinguishable really from any other washing maching....it just looks like a washing machine, nothing less and nothing more! The drum is significantly larger than my old machine, being able to accept loads of 8kg, rather than 6kg which seems to be more standard.

The washing machine has all of the main functions and cycles, including a few extra ones which do not come as standard on most machines. There are 15 wash programs that are displayed on the LCD display at the front of the machine. I particularly like that it will display how much longer the cycle has to run, so there is less guess work involved!

I particularly like the "Delay Start" on the washing machine so that, if I intend to do washing overnight, I can set it to start later on so that the washing is not left damp in the drum until I get up in the morning. I hate that smell of damp washing that has been left too long - and so I find that the washing comes out smelling fresher when I've used this function overnight.

There is an "Extra Rinse" function also, but I have to admit to not using this. I do kind of think that the washing machine should get rid of all traces of detergent on a standard rinse and I don't believe you should need an extra rinse. However, I have never had an issue with detergent still being evident on my washing even when just using the standard rinse cycle.

There are "Fast Wash Programmes" - one of which is for 30 minutes (30°C) and one for 60 minutes (60°C). I tend to use the 60 minute cycle for the majority of my washing loads - although I have used the 30 minute cycle occassionally when I've been in a rush. In particular, I've used this for the kids sports wear when they've forgot to let me know it needs washing and its been in the bottom of their sports bag. This shorter cooler cycle tends to be adequate, as long as there are not any deep stains on the fabric. I find the "Mini Load" cycle on this machine particularly efficient. Not only does it use less power and water, but it also gets things washed in 30 minutes - again which is really useful for items needed quickly for the kids school.

From an energy saving standpoint (we are all supposed to be more "green" and more money conscious!), it has an AAA washing and energy efficiency rating, which is the highest level that can be awarded to a washing machine. Having said that, I can't say that I've noticed my electricity or water bill has decreased significantly!

So, so far this machine has lasted me a year and I've had no problems with it at all. It came with a 3 year guarantee and so this gave me peace of mind. I would recommend it to larger families who will benefit from having the larger drum size - and although I think a lot of the wash cycle programmes will be surplus to requirements for most people, it is nice to have the option.
Summary: Recommended for larger families.

• dynamicnurse published 08/11/2010
    You need to listen to what people are telling you!
  • FORCE6 published 08/11/2010
    I cant keep up with your new reviews! Thats enough for one day, come post more tommorow! They appear faster than i can read them now. =D