Housekeeping/Domestic Work

Housekeeping/Domestic Work

Review of "Housekeeping/Domestic Work"

published 08/06/2013 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Pro Rewarding job.
Cons Hard work and low pay.

"Where's my elbow grease...?"

I am currently working in a general housekeeping role, which for those of you who know me will therefore know that it is somewhat different from my previous line of work in the health care profession. But I have in the last three months or so left Plymouth to go and work in North Devon, in a Christian conference and retreat centre as a part of the housekeeping team.

For this particular role, I have to carry out many different duties - many of which a lot of other people would run a mile at even the thought of doing them, but many of the tasks I do are ones that I was so used to doing in my previous working roles. I am having to make beds; clean toilets; wash out showers or baths; hoover, and help to keep up the general cleanliness of the centre for the guests who are staying here to feel relaxed and at home.

This role is not well paid (it is minimum wage), but my accomodation and food are provided for me free of charge (although I can of course buy some bits of my own food if I so wish to). I work at least forty hours a week which is a constant busy time as I along with the other members of my team are always on the go, but it is a job that I enjoy as I do get to meet a very wide variety of people.

But not everyone will get this, as housekeepers can be found in many different places, including those places where they will meet no other people besides those that they work with because of the hours that they are working. However I feel that in this day and age and in the current economic crisis, a job is a job regardless of what it is and how over qualified for it you may be.

Ultimately this particular type of work can be very hard physically, and so I have found that only those people who are quite fit in the first place can do it well - or otherwise, you may find that you are struggling to keep up with things. And quite often the hours or the times you have to work will not always fit in with what else you have got on, which can also be quite frustrating.

But one of the best things that I have personally found about doing this particular kind of work, is that you get a sense of pride and feeling good about yourself when you know that you have finished a room to the highest possible standards for someone else to spend a few days in - and when they comment on how much they enjoyed the cleanliness of it, you get a great sense of really being valued.

Yet this does not always happen, as the cleaning team don't always get the recongition that they deserve in my own opinion. As I always think, an organisation can only last for a short while without the housekeeping team, as after a while no one will want to go there if it is dirty or smelly.

But keep in mind at least giving this job a go, as it will show that you are not a stubborn old git or too proud to be on your hands and knees scrubbing the pan of a toilet. You will get that enourmous sense of satisfaction that I was talking about, and you will also be able to show that you are not afraid to work hard.

Thanks for reading!

• RICHADA published 22/06/2013
    Congratulations on being so open about what I regard as a totally "honorable" career choice. North Devon is a different world from the south of the county! R.
  • anonymili published 08/06/2013
    Definitely not a career for me, I HATE housework LOL
  • mumsymary published 08/06/2013
    I agree cleaning is not a role which gets a lot of respect and recognition for the job they do

Product Information : Housekeeping/Domestic Work

Listed on Ciao since: 21/03/2002

Housekeeping/Domestic Work - Review - Where's my elbow grease...?

dynamicnu... 4

dynamicnurse

Member since:30.07.2007

Where's my elbow grease...?

08.06.2013

Advantages:
Rewarding job .

Disadvantages:
Hard work and low pay .

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. bbicuk01
  2. writeallnight
  3. RICHADA

Thanks for reading!

« Previous review

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

RICHADA 22.06.2013 20:14