Review of "How To Train Your Dragon (DVD)"

published 22/04/2010 | SusanLesley
Member since : 21/10/2000
Pro Fun, interesting, great for all ages, worth watching
Cons Great but I wouldn't want to watch it over and over
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Now I know how to train a 3D dragon!"

We have just been to the cinema to see How to Train Your Dragon, the latest offering from the prolific DreamWorks animation studio. These are the same people that brought you great films such as Shrek and Madagascar.

We decided to go and see the 3D version but I am assuming that it is possible to go and see it in 2D as well.

The basic premise of the film is that there is a village of Vikings which is constantly attacked by a whole range of dragons of various sizes and killing methods. These are then either killed or driven away by the Vikings only to return again and again.

Hiccup, the son of the chief Viking, wants to be a dragon killer but he is a slim lad not like the huge stocky figures of his father and his friends so when he tries the conventional brute force way of killing them he keeps getting it wrong. This of course means that he is a huge disappointment to his father and this in turn makes Hiccup strive even more for his approval.

There are a wide range of different types of dragons from small ones right up to one called the Night Fury which is so quick and deadly that no one has killed or even seen one.

Hiccup invents a large sling shot type contraption which he uses one battle night to bring down the Night Fury, but since no one else saw it happen and the body is nowhere to be found no one actually believes him.

His father takes the other Viking warriors away to find and destroy the dragon's nest leaving Hiccup to join the other young people of the village and start dragon training, where he is of course completely useless!

He begins to search the countryside for the Night Fury that he is sure he hit with his sling shot and when he finds it he knows that he should kill it but he finds that he just can’t do it and ends up setting it free instead.

The film then develops as Hiccup’s relationship with the Night Fury (who he calls Toothless) progresses and Hiccup realises that dragons aren’t anything like what he has been taught that they are and there is no need to kill them.

I won’t go any further along the story as it will spoil it if you haven’t yet seen it, but suffice it to say that it will have you jumping, gasping and laughing in equal measure and yes, I did shed a tear at the end!

The animation is excellent as you would expect from DreamWorks and we thought that there was subtle psychology at work too. For example the Night Fury was not the scariest looking of the dragons even though he was supposed to be the worst of the lot and his movements and mannerisms reminded us both of our cat, Mew. Dave suggested that maybe this was deliberate to create a familiar comfortable feeling, in a subliminal way, so that the viewer was compassionate towards the dragon – clever isn’t he?

The 3D effects were excellent although sometimes when the movement is very fast I find myself feeling a little bit dizzy but it soon passes. There is an explosion at one point and there are a lot of particles floating down through the air which looked just as though they were landing on my lap!

This film lasts for about an hour and a half and is rated PG although I didn’t feel that it would be too frightening for mast children; maybe the very young might be a bit upset by it. There were some very young children in the cinema when we were there but sadly they were more interested in talking than watching the film which was quite irritating during the quieter bits.

All in all I would say that the film was really good fun and I would recommend it to you although it won’t be one of those that I am waiting to buy as soon as it comes out on DVD. I enjoyed it but it isn’t something I would want to watch again and again.

• hillhead published 10/05/2010
    Sounds one to keep in mind : )
  • paulpry118 published 27/04/2010
    I quite fancy this
  • kanzzz published 27/04/2010
    i just saw it yesterday..really enjoyed it..great movie for one time watch.