Hubble Bubble - Christina Jones

Hubble Bubble - Christina Jones

Review of "Hubble Bubble - Christina Jones"

published 23/05/2006 | Kazzay
Member since : 31/07/2003
Pro Feel good, very funny tale with a twist of magic.
Cons I didn't want it to end.
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"What a storm you can mix up with a good story!"

The title of this book (Hubble Bubble) did it for me I have to admit. I didn't need to know anything else about the book, I thought it would be the kind of book I like; girly, romantic with something fun and magical in it and I wasn't wrong.

It was a wonderful read which I'd recommend to anyone who likes an easy, romantic comedy with a bit of a difference. The central character is Mitzi Blessing, who at the age of 50-something is forced into early retirement from the bank at which she works. She is bitter and resentful about this and not willingly accepting the decision, which immediately draws me to her character because why should you be ready to accept that?! I didn't immediately think I would identify with Mitzi as she's from a different generation and I would normally read about characters of my own age so I think it says a lot for the talent of Christina Jones that you want to know more about her straight away and feel an empathy for her. You can identify with her because Jones shows that no matter what your age, our feelings are often the same and we can all feel empty and lost but have a laugh at life.

You're led gently through an introduction into Mitzi's life, environment, the small rural village she lives in called Hazy Hassocks (a brilliant name) and the people around her. It is sad and painful to begin with but with an undercurrent of anticipation so you know that something's in store for her. The people in Mitzi's life echo her own sadness and neediness. She is a divorcee, her husband Lance having run off with a younger woman. Her 2 daughters are also fairly unsuccessful with relationships; one in an unfulfilled relationship and one who has no luck finding a decent partner. They seem to need to find themselves and they're all quite needy, as are Mitzi's very funny, peculiar elderly neighbours; the Banding sisters, who provide many a funny moment in the book. One of the themes that I like in this book is that these women aren't lost and lonely because they need a man so much as they need to find themselves and identify what makes them independently happy; particularly Mitzi.

The magic comes from Mitzi deciding to sort out her attic full of memories and treasures now she has a bit of time on her hands and coming across her grandmother's old recipe book. Mitzi decides to try out some of the dishes (Wishes Come True Pie, Mischief Night Cake, and Powers of Persuasion Pudding), although never having really cooked before and there are some hilarious moments caused by the results. The dishes she makes have strange herbal ingredients in them which can cause magical results, particularly in peoples love lives.

This story is a time old tale of life, love and loneliness but with a delicious twist of magic added to the pot making it a great read. It is funny, heart warming and a real feel good book that you should definitely read if you want a light pick me up. The characters are likeable, believable and fresh, they're quite often oddballs but if you look closely enough at people around you you can see we're all odd in some way. I enjoyed reading the story from a different age range perspective. I couldn't put it down and thoroughly enjoyed how it made me feel. It gave me a lightness and freshness and left me feeling like I couldn't wait for other books in this series. There is one - hurrah: Seeing Stars which is based around some of the same characters.

Published by Piatkus Books, it can be bought for a range of prices but ebay and amazon private sellers are usually best.

• Kayande published 11/07/2006
    I am deffinately going to look out for this book, but as you suggest I will first read the Shooting stars(I think that was the name, i'm getting old) All the best x x
  • Playgirl27 published 24/05/2006
    Sounds a really good book I will have to seek this one out, lou x
  • belfin published 23/05/2006
    I must add this to my library list. lol. My daughter Danielle89 is fed up ordering books for me every Saturday when she's at work. Belinda