Review of "Hugo Boss Boss Orange Eau de Toilette"

published 20/07/2010 | wizo9000
Member since : 25/08/2008
Pro Great scent, stylish bottle, decent staying power.
Cons None for me.
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"Shouldn't That Be Hugo Boss Apple?"

Hugo Boss Orange

With an advertising campaign fronted by British actress Sienna Miller, Hugo Boss' 'Orange' Eau de Toilette perfume has now become one of my favourite perfumes. After hearing many positive comments from friends regarding this perfume, and after first having tried some on in a department store to see how the fragrance settled on my skin, I decided to buy a large bottle for myself as a treat.

Packaging

In terms of presentation, this fragrance comes in a beautiful very pale peach coloured glass bottle. Tall and slender, the bottle features rectangular geometric shapes that add a slightly chunky, substantial feel to this bottle. It certainly looks attractive on a dressing table, particularly with the peach coloured perfume showing through the glass.
Scent & Staying Power

As with all perfumes though, despite the attractive nature of the bottle, it's the scent that counts, so what does Hugo Boss Orange smell like?

Wonderful, is the simple answer. For a perfume named 'Orange' I was expecting an orange fragrance to be included, but when I first sprayed this perfume on my skin, the main scent that immediately hits you is actually apple. Although I found this slightly confusing, the fruity, sweet and refreshing scent of the apple actually worked very well, and added to other noticeable top notes of warming cinnamon and citrus bergamot, the slightly tarte apple aroma actually worked well.

After around 15 minutes the strong apple aroma settled down, and the fruity top notes of the fragrance blended with some lovely heart notes; other than a distinct white floral scent, which I found to be absolutely gorgeous as it reminded me of jasmine, I could not detect the individual reported heart notes of plum and orange flower. Despite this difficulty in distinguishing individual aromas, however, the fragrance in general at this point was very nice indeed.

Around an hour later, the woodier base notes of the fragrance began to push their way through; olivewood and sandalwood in particular became easy to detect, but the heavier woody aromas were counteracted by the enjoyable sweet hint of vanilla.

The heart and base notes are by far my favourite aspects of this scent, with the white floral heart notes reminding me of jasmine without even technically containing that ingredient, and the deeper base notes being an excellent compliment to the florals.

In terms of the scent's staying power, I found that I could smell the base notes of this perfume a good 5 or 6 hours after first applying, though if you wish to continue wearing this perfume into the evening, I would recommend reapplying the fragrance to ensure it lasts. Although I believe Orange is designed to be a daytime perfume, I would have no hesitation in wearing this into the evening, and for special occasions, as it's a lovely, long lasting scent that I can highly recommend.
Price & Availability

Hugo Boss Orange is available in various sizes, and is available in good department stores, perfume stores and in various online perfume outlets, often at heavily discounted prices.

The cheapest I have found a 30ml bottle of this Eau de Toilette is about £25, whilst a 50ml bottle will set you back around £35 and a 75ml bottle is around £47. Shop around, however, and you could make considerable savings!

• liolia79 published 11/11/2010
    I love it!
  • Calla76 published 11/08/2010
    Great review, sounds lovely! x
  • MizzMolko published 27/07/2010
    This one wouldn't be for me but you described the aromas very well : ) Eleanor x