Human After All - Daft Punk

Human After All - Daft Punk

1 CD(s) - Trip Hop / Big Beat - Label: Virgin - Distributor: Universal Music, EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics - Released: 14/03/2005 - 724356356221

Review of "Human After All - Daft Punk"

published 08/04/2005 | TheFirstEscapist
Member since : 05/11/2003
Satisfactory
Pro Excellent production. Different direction (new sound). Not a lot else.
Cons Overuse of the robotic voice sound. Not a single 'killer' hit (like One More Time, Aerodynamic etc..).
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Very electro-punk. A little bit daft."

Daft Punk - Human After All

Daft Punk - Human After All

I bought this album in Japan 2 weeks ago, and the first thing I have to say - is that for me it was a struggle to get through.

This is without doubt the worst Daft Punk album that's been made. They've tried to evolve, but they've evolved into something which is unrecgonisable from their previous efforts.

The sound on this album is a little bit harder and less commercial friendly than their previous efforts. The soundworld change is great, but the problem is - they haven't done anything interesting with it. They've got all these cool new sounds, and that's great, but they haven't come up with a catchy riff or even a good chord sequence.

Because they're so obssessed with their new sounds - they are overused. I was sick of the robotic voice by the end of the album. It's a good gimmick that has worked for them in places in the past, but it's been overused on this album. Their use of guitars is still strong, but they've focused less on some of the vocal lines that made some of their earlier work so great and more on sound.

If we take the first single 'Robot Rock'. This is the most boring single I've listened to this year. The album version is 4 minutes 47 seconds long, and the bass line centres around the same note for the whole song. Secondly - we have this riff, on a synth/guitar type of sound (difficult to describe) - and it just goes on and on. In the background we have 'Robot Rock' going on in the robotic voice sound. We have the SAME power chords going on for almost the entire song. It's just very very dull, and there's really nothing to it. There's nothing catchy about it at all.

I don't like doing negative reviews, but there's really not a lot to commend this album. There's some neat production touches, but let's face it , 99.9% of us don't buy albums to listen to production values, we buy albums to listen to good music. There is perhaps one song on this album that I would recommend (Track 6 - The Brainwasher) - which at least has an interesting bassline, and has some movement and direction in it.

Ironically - the last track 'Emotion' - is a hark back to the previous albums. It's the best track on the album. It has that lovely warm flanged/phased pad sound that they use so well on previous albums. It is also the most emotional track on the album - despite the robotic sound. It's just got some depth to it. I was surprised when I heard this - because it's a bit out of place on this album - but it turns out being the best song on the album, and from the Daft Punk I know and love.

Ironic again - is that the album is called 'Human After All' - becuase there's nothing particularly human about it.

Maybe I've missed the point of the album and that it was an experiment for Daft Punk - but given the amount of publicity it had in Japan - I doubt that was the case. If it was an experiment - then it went wrong. If it was released as a commercial album - in my opinion it's a disaster - because there's not a single track here worth being released as a single.

A very disappointing effort from Daft Punk, well below what they're capable of. I'm highly anticipating their next album now - to see where they go from here.

I wouldn't recommend buying this to anybody. Borrow it off a friend, and if you like it - then come back and tell me, because I'll be VERY surprised.

This review was read 2012 times and was rated at

• blaupraust published 26/10/2005
    Good review, I agree, the album is dull, repetitive, and totally lacking in musical quality. 5 minutes in Fruityloops could create better!
  • benraiben published 19/04/2005
    My friend is in to Daft Punk, and even he thinks that this album is s*** compared to previous albums!
  • TomlinsonSE published 08/04/2005
    Great Review. Sue

offers "Human After All - Daft Punk"