Hungry Hungry Hippos

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Board Game - Children's Board Game

Review of "Hungry Hungry Hippos"

published 16/12/2011 | kirstysian
Member since : 22/07/2008
Yay orange!
Pro easy to play, fun, durable
Cons none
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Hungry Hungry Hippo"

Hungry Hippos is another one of those games that I remember from my child hood and one that I consider to be a classic. We used to always play this game when we had to have our break times inside due to the rain and I really enjoyed playing it. So when me and my brother received it to share one Christmas to say I was excited would be an understatement. Since then the game still remains in the cupboard under the stairs and has provided hours of entertainment.

What is hungry hippos?

Hungry hippos is a game based all around, you guessed it, Hippos. The game is designed to be played by up to 4 players who have to try and eat the most marbles. The player with the most marbles wins. We have had plenty of fun playing with just 2 players however I don’t think you would have much fun playing this game on your own.

Game set up

Being a little bit lazy when it comes to setting up board games some times I really like the fact that this game is so easy to set up. Literally it is a case of getting the hippo base out of the box and putting the marbles into the middle of the area. This also makes it easy for children to set up without adult supervision.

Playing the game

Each of the 4 coloured hippos work by pressing a button at the back of it, this opens its mouth so that it can eat a marble. Due to the fact this game is made out of plastic when the hippo is constantly opening and closing its mouth it can make a bit of a racket.

Despite the game being very noisy it is very easy to operate and easy to understand. This makes the game suitable for a wide range of ages and is perfect for family time.

Personally I have found this game to be very hard wearing considering the repetitive movements of the hippos. A good 10 years later and our one is still going strong. The one thing I have to say about the game though is be careful not to lose the marbles!

Price and availability

You can find this game in a variety of outlets both online and in the shops priced at around £10 which I think is a great price.

Conclusion

I love hungry hippos and think that for such a simple game it is great for providing entertainment. I would recommend this game to anyone.

• JAVER1967 published 18/12/2011
    An excellent and interesting review
  • AnneLorraine1 published 16/12/2011