Hungry Hungry Hippos

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Board Game - Children's Board Game

Review of "Hungry Hungry Hippos"

published 03/05/2012 | rosaliecullen6
Member since : 29/12/2011
Also rosaliecullen on DooYoo :)
Pro Easy
Cons Noisy
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Nom nom nom Hungry Hippos"

Overview

Hungry Hippos was a classic game from the 1980s. It was a game I always wanted to play as a child and the parents were typically reluctant to let me play due to the incessant noise. Luckily as I had two hands, I could essentially play against myself if no one else wanted to play...everyone's a winner that way!

How to play

Hungry Hippos is a specially designed plastic board with one "hippo" on each side. There is a leaver on the back of each hippo which allows their mouth to open and close. You get about 40 mini white balls that are distributed in the middle of the board and each player taps the leaver so that the hippos "eat" the white balls. That's why it is called Hungry Hippos!

Playing

As aforementioned, the game tends to be very noisy and very frantic. It involves very little skill and it typically just the luck of the draw as to who manages to get the most balls in the hippos mouth. At the end of the game, the number of balls are counted up, whoever has the most, wins the game!

Overall

I think this appeals to children over the age of 7 mostly. The small white balls would be a worry for me to give to any younger children. I can imagine they would get bored of this after a couple of years, but definitely one I loved playing a lot!