Hurghada (Egypt)

Hurghada (Egypt)

Review of "Hurghada (Egypt)"

published 28/09/2016 | MarinaSun
Member since : 26/09/2016
Russian girl working in international education. Huge fan of travelling. Don't forget to be a girl - so interested in cosmetics and other girl stuff:) Love reading, cinema and cats.
Satisfactory
Pro practically no
Cons disrespectful people, dirty town, very boring
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Sorry, Hurghada, I'm not going back"

Hurghada was not the first place I've visited in Egypt, but till date it was my last visit which, unfortunately, left no chances for a positive attitude.

I really love traveling and I'm always trying to enjoy the time spent in other countries and to ignore minor problems. Still, I have to strongly NOT recommend this resort to anyone.
For our stay we choose the hotel Sunny Days Palma de Mirette.

Hotel Infrastructure

It is quite a large hotel complex by the seaside, about 10-15 minutes from the town centre by taxi. We booked a room in a 4-star part of this complex. I have no idea of what kind of stars they're talking about, but it's 100% not what people in other countries mean by this. Everything starting from the reception was very shabby and dirty. Our room was very dark, with old furniture, not very clean. The shower was a complete disaster - the smallest and the dirtiest I've ever seen. The only nice thing was a balcony overlooking a swimming pool and the sea.
The hotel offers all inclusive stay. The food was very simple and the same every day (they tried to do some National Cuisine parties, but the food there was inedible). Two things in term of food that were nice - falafel and veggies.
Local drinks in the bars are not just unsavoury - they seemed simply dangerous.
The beach is not very large, the sea is OK, but Egypt's famous underwater life is not very impressive there - coral reefs are dead, there are not so many fish species. Definitely for the lovers of snorkeling and diving Sharm-el-Sheikh is a better place.
There are two swimming pools, clean, but the water is not warmed up. In early March it was freezing cold.
There is no free wi-fi even in the lobby; you have to buy login and password in the internet cafe for about 1.5 GBP for 30 minutes. The speed is not impressive at all. We connected to Internet only when dining out in some cafes or restaurants.

Personnel
In two words - very unfriendly. We arrived early in the morning and paid about 12 GBP to check-in before 14:00. Afterwards one of hotel workers accompanied us to our room. He helped us with the luggage and stood still in the doorway. I gave him some tips, and he started yelling at me: "That's not enough". I was really shocked. Other staff members are not any better. There are only two types of behaviour there - being disrespectful or trying to hit on you (some of them don't even bother flirting, they just offer you sex during the first minute of your conversation).
When you are trying to relax by the sea, there are crowds of people trying to sell you excursions, boat trips, massage or hookah - you can't spend a single minute without talking to anyone.

Hurghada itself
There is absolutely nothing to do. Absolutely. It's a small touristic town with no unique atmosphere. Hurghada is very small and dirty, people are treating you terribly. The only thing you can do is going sightseeing, but the tours offered are pretty expensive (not less than 30 GBP).

The only pleasant thing that happened to me there was a visit to Luxor where you can see ruins of the famous temple complexes which is really interesting.

To sum up, I'd just say that vacations in Hurghada were one of the worst experiences in my life. Of course, it's just a personal opinion, but I'd really not recommend that to anyone.

PS: I don't have photos of the hotel unfortunately to share with you (it seems my mobile phone also disliked this trip completely, and deleted all the pics))

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 29/09/2016
    Gosh
  • RICHADA published 28/09/2016
    Thanks for the warning although I can't imagine it being a place that I'd be likely to end up in. R.
  • MarinaSun published 28/09/2016
    Regarding the drinks - I was speaking mainly about the hotel bars. They offered only local drinks, and they are really terrible. The main problem is the smell that slightly resembles petrol. I was afraid of drinking them (and generally I can't call myself a really picky person)

Product Information : Hurghada (Egypt)

Listed on Ciao since: 12/10/2000