Hyde Park Winter Wonderland Experience, London

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland Experience, London

Festival/Fair

Review of "Hyde Park Winter Wonderland Experience, London"

published 26/07/2013 | Essexgirl2006
Member since : 07/02/2006
Pro Lots to see and do, lovely festive atmosphere, free admission
Cons Rides and attractions inside can be expensive. Need to book some events in advance
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Walking in a Winter Wonderland"

One of the many penguins in residence.

One of the many penguins in residence.

Winter Wonderland has been in London's Hyde Park over winter/Christmas for a few years now. I first visited a few years ago, but it was a spontaneous visit and no one was dressed appropriately so we went into a pub to warm ourselves up. This time I was more organised and after a few drinks in Regent Street we ambled across to Hyde Park.

It is free to get in and runs from about the third week of November until 6th January - actual dates would vary each year - and is open 10am to 10pm. I have only ever gone in the evening, and the lights from the fairground make it look very festive and fun.

WHAT TO DO?

Even though admission is free, it is not a cheap trip out as there are lots of ways to spend money here. The first time I came here we all went on the big wheel. It is brightly lit and makes a fabulous photo against the night sky. You can get some good views across London from here though - it is 60m high. Currently it is £8 for an adult (£6/7 for children/concessions). The 'flight' lasts about 12-15 minutes and it is a slow circuit as they stop to allow people to get on/off and then you get a full trip round without interruptions. Each pod is closed from the elements and holds six people. Even though I was with someone who was scared of heights, they found the journey gentle and did not feel panicky. I do think this is worth doing if you can afford it. I recommend booking in advance to get the right time slot.

Other activities include ice skating (£13.50 for an adult/£6 child/£12.50 concession). I didn't do this as I considered it ridiculously expensive. I can't skate anyway, so it is a lot of money to sit on some ice getting a cold, wet bum. Each session lasts an hour and you need to arrive in good time to sort out skates etc. I quite fancied the Ice Kingdom which appeared to be sculptures in ice, the price for that was the same for the wheel. It is extra cold in here and should take about 15 minutes to walk around. I had heard positive reports of it. Unfortunately there were no tickets when we went - it is strongly recommended that you book in advance to get the time slot you want - this can be done online. There are also a couple of circuses which were £10.50 adult/£7 per child/£9.50 concessions). Again these needed to be booked in advance as the shows only happen a few times a day. Each show is 45 mins, and there appears to be a family orientated one, and slightly more adventurous stunt show which may scare the smaller children.

All prices quoted are peak time prices - there are only a few off-peak dates and the details are on the website

FAIRGROUND

They have a big fairground here and it is all very bright and noisy. You can take a zip-wire across the site, or go on roller-coasters or more sedate rides, as well as the stalls where your 'skill' at throwing of whatever will win you a cuddly penguin. Previously I went on one of the towers that drop you at speed from a great height. I forget how much it was but I remember screaming a lot. They seem to have more now as the whole site has become more popular. My friend and I fancied the Wild Maus XXL which seemed to be a waltzer/roller-coaster cross but it cost 6 tokens (1 token = £1) which we thought over-priced. The cheapest rides (for children) cost two tokens. Prices did vary but I wasn't tempted any further. You also have a traditional merry-go-round with horses and a 'star-flyer' which is a 60m high roundabout where you fly out. That looked great fun, but I reckon it would be nippy up there.

There is a Santa Land for the kids with kiddie orientated rides, and a little train ride around Santa Land. I believe Father Christmas hangs out here during the day time.

SHOPPING

By the main entrance to the park there are a number of stalls in their 'Christmas Market' area to tempt money from you. My friend brought a beautiful scarf for £8, which I thought was a reasonable price. Some are Christmas orientated, some sell fancy sweets, some gifts, clothing or accessories. Stuff is mainly original that you will not find on the high street and it is nice to browse.

EATING & DRINKING

There are plenty of places to eat and drink. There are some sit down places, such as a Bavarian beer hall and a carousel bar that rotates or you can buy from the stalls as you go round. We bought jacket potatoes each (from £3.50 depending on filling) and hot chocolate (from £2.50). Bars are licensed and there are plenty of places to buy mulled wine as well as a good range of food places from proper restaurants to fish & chips. If you do buy from the stalls there are not always places to sit so you need to think about logistics when trying to cut a jacket potato with a plastic fork...Various places around the site also had live music at certain times.

OTHER STUFF

We used the official park public toilets. Naturally there was a queue for the Ladies' loos. They will never be the nicest toilets you have ever used but there is an attendant here, so they are not as bad as expected - there is toilet paper, soap etc. We did spot some porta-loos near the rides area which didn't seem to have a queue. The whole area is out in the open apart from a few attractions, so a wet day might not be as fun. A cold, dry day will add to the atmosphere. I would recommend going here by tube - Green Park, Hyde Park Corner and Marble Arch are all about 5 minutes walk from the park. It is easy to walk around as the areas you will visit will be either paths or have mats down to prevent the park getting too muddy. Cards are accepted at some stalls, but best to bring cash and book 'special' attractions online.

SUMMARY

I really enjoyed my evening here, we had a lot of fun walking around and soaking up the atmosphere but overall it is an expensive treat. If you come as a family this could be very expensive. I would definitely come again next Christmas but would plan my visit a bit better, rather than winging it, to take advantage of some of the special attractions.

• Dentolux published 18/06/2014
    Penguins are bashful creatures that like to hyde from humans.
  • Chippytarka published 27/11/2013
    Sounds like a great experience!x
  • siberian-queen published 02/08/2013