Hydrangea Paniculata Confetti (Vlasveld02) (PBR)

Review of "Hydrangea Paniculata Confetti (Vlasveld02) (PBR)"

published 12/08/2017 | LiveMusicLoverLyn
Member since : 23/03/2014
“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention” Thanks for all the reads, rates, appreciated esp E rates, every E I give is well deserved.
Pro Easy care, unusual and fits all styles
Cons Limited availability
Ease of Care
Appearance

"~ Edgy White and Pale Pink Flower over Green ~"

Hydrangea Paniculata Confetti

To follow on from my Hydrangea Annabelle review, here is my review of some Hydrangeas that we bought when we completely changed the flower bed outside our kitchen window. There is already a mature white/pale pink lace cap Hydrangea growing there and three strategically placed Confetti should go well to help fill the mid-ground area of the bed.

Description:

Hydrangea Paniculata Confetti could not be more different to Annabelle, with Confetti the flowers stand upright in a triangle formation, giving a pointed, edgy appearance, no soft spheres of gentleness here, the flowers whilst beautiful close up from a short distance their straight edginess is harsh and dangerous. From further afield the sharpness is lost again and you see the whiteness of the flowers against the green leaves in a veil of hazy softness.

Like Annabelle the flowers are white, although here they are become tinged with pale pink as they mature and this gives another contrast to the picture, where white is generally gentle, pure white can seem harsh, the pale pink accents serve to gentle and soften the picture. I think this would be an interning plant to paint; I wonder how the artist would interpret the plant or capture the contrasts that make Confetti unique.

Habit:

With a rate of growth described as average our plants were put in last autumn at around 15cm and now stand at double that height. The given height is up to 75cm with a width of 120cm. Confetti is tolerant of most soils and our card suggests moist, well drained moderate and humus rich soil. The plant is happy with full or partial shade. They are fully hardy in the UK and Europe with a flowering season of July to September.

Confetti has very little scent and the green leaves are contrasted by the dark coloured stem of the new growth that supports the flower.

Our Plants:

Ours have yet to fill out and to balance the bed we will keep then pruned to probably around 40-50cm in height and will do so in the early spring. Ours are planted in an area that had been ignored and neglected, I suspect for many years before we moved in, but in the last few years has benefitted from a lot of manure and compost being worked in. The bed faces east and catches the early morning sun and then is shaded by the house from late morning from the full heat of the sun when there is any and so far they are doing very well. I did not choose Confetti, I’d suggested maybe some more the same as the lace cap that was already there or another Annabelle, I think though what had stuck with the nurseryman when they were bought was the colour of white or gentle pink. I do quite like the way these contrast with our softer gentler Hydrangeas and this summer we have also introduced a white blowsy rose into the mix and these all contrast with the white and yellow of camomile and creeping thyme that give ground cover and two shades of mauve and purple hardy geranium and the tall structural purple Verbena that is interspersed amongst the Hydrangea. As you will also see from my photo the Hydrangea goes onto flower after the geranium are finished and we also have the gentle prolific self seeding daisy like Erigeron Karvinskianus.

Care:

Ours were watered regularly when new and once winter arrived left alone, apart from very hot and dry spells they are self sufficient. Hydrangeas do not like drying out, so they do appreciate a good soak in prolonged dry spells.

We mulch a little in the early part of winter and prune early spring, otherwise they are left alone.

They are said to be prone to problems from aphids, capsid bug and hydrangea scale as well as leaf spot, but so far we have not experienced any problems.

Price & Availability:

I did not go and buy the plants myself, but they would not have been expensive. Crocus have them for £16.99 each with free click and collect or two other choices of delivery level and I am sure I saw this variety on a recent trip to the cafe at Dobbies. Ours were bought from a small independent.

~*~

Conclusion:

This was not my plant of choice, but I do appreciate the differentness of Confetti to other Hydrangeas and the contrasts in the plant itself. The shades of white change as the flower develops and softened by the pink tinge that arrives the floral aspect is very interesting and the whole is a nice inclusion for any garden where a pale coloured flower over green leaves is wanted. I am learning fast that there are a lot of varieties of Hydrangea. They are a hardy plant that suits any garden type and this variety is worth considering.

Stars: