Hyundai Getz 1.1

Hyundai Getz 1.1

Hyundai present the Getz 1.1 CDX 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Hyundai Getz 1.1"

published 29/10/2007 | fayperry
Member since : 19/11/2003
Pro cheap motoring, plenty of space.
Cons small boot
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Cheap to run and nippy."

Hubbie and I went out to buy a second hand car 2 months ago, and ended up buying a brand new Hyundai Getz as we were so amazed at the price and offers!
The list price was £8000 but they had £1000 off, plus the first 3 services for £99 (instead of £259 each!), five year warranty as standard and three year's RAC! We've even been offered a free car for 5 years while ours is in for servicing! That sounded to us like cheap, hassle free motoring for 5 years.
We are using half the petrol than we used to with our old, larger engine car, insurance group 3 is cheap too, and car tax at £115 a year!
The outside of the car looks smaller than the inside, which is odd!
Inside is certainly ordinary looking, not a pretty cuddly car you would fall in love with. There is a lot of black plastic that shows the dust! 3 coffee cup holders, CD player as standard, air conditioning (amazing at this price!), dual air bags (passenger one can be switched off for baby seat), pockets in both doors for maps etc, one under the steering wheel, the drop down drawer thing in front of the passenger has a light, as does the interior of the boot. The seats fold flat 40/60 very easily. There is the proper anchorage for rear baby seats. There is a cigarette lighter (some companies charge extra for these) and removable ash tray which sits in a coffee cup holder should you want it. The boot is not massive; I get perhaps 8-10 carrier bags of shopping in, but then can easily put the back seat down if I need more space. Only a temporary spare wheel is provided, but again some don't even give you that.
The outside again is ordinary looking. Nothing cute and cuddly but functional! The wing mirrors fold flat both ways if someone bumps them. There are black door handles and side moulding which I prefer.
It has central locking, front electric windows, side impact bars, 3 three point seatbelts, anti locking brakes, central locking, and engine immobilizer. All amazing for the money I feel.
We get three teenagers in the back with no trouble, obviously not tons of spare room but they seem happy!
Driving takes some getting used to as the indicators are on the right (but on left in all but Korean cars!) so at first every time I indicator the windscreen wiper went! But I quickly got used to it. You can easily do 70mph (or more) on a motorway without the engine struggling. Around town it is sharp and nippy. I far prefer driving it that our older car which had a much bigger engine. I have not had any trouble pulling away at lights or over taking people.
The basic price only comes in red, but they were out of stock when we tried to order one, so we went for metallic blue which costs an extra £330. Bit of a cheek I felt, but all the manufacturers do this!
After 6 weeks of driving this car, we are both delighted by it (and our lower fuel bills). We're even beginning to think it is quite cuddly after all! If I went out to buy a new car tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of these!