ICS Diplomas

Review of "ICS Diplomas"

published 22/10/2004 | Kazzay
Member since : 31/07/2003
Satisfactory
Pro Can inspire you, interesting, different
Cons Rude customer services, poor interaction. NO DIPLOMA!

"ICS should stand for : I Cant See my Diploma!"

As the title of this overall topic is “ICS Diplomas” I can devote my review entirely to this subject because ICS will not issue me with mine!!

I finally completed an ICS distance learning course on Freelance Journalism in April this year. I say finally because it actually took me four years to complete and 2 extra payments of £75 a time to extend the deadlines. I can’t say why it took me so long, it wasn’t a particularly difficult course especially if you enjoy writing. It wasn’t any particular grade or level and you didn’t have to take an exam with it. There were around 10 modules which you had to read through, write a piece on and then submit to a tutor to be marked.

After a stint of travelling I ended up disillusioned in a boring, mundane job which was slowly destroying my will to live so I initially did my course at work. I had an hour’s cover on reception each day to kill so it helped to liven my brain and brighten my days. I passed my first few assignments with flying colours and thought “yes this is for me”. However, there is only so much you can do in an hour with the odd interruption and this was my first problem. I couldn’t motivate myself to do anything at home! My second stumbling block was that I tended to find it hard to think of topics to write about. You can contact your tutor at any time by phone or email and mine was genuinely helpful. Yet she couldn’t offer the kind of support I needed. I needed someone to ask me where my next assignment was , what problems I was having and to help me overcome them. I was disappointed that there was not more interaction between us. The mere fact that you are paying for a course doesn’t necessarily impel you. So even if you have been enjoying a course and seem to be good at it, if you don’t have any motivation in your life you will find it very hard to complete a course like this.

For me personally, I have had to get my life in order and tear myself out of a kind of waking coma (as I like to refer to a few years when I have done absolutely nothing) in order to finish the course. I finally managed to finish the majority of remaining modules this year with a flourish and felt very proud of myself. I wrote about the Ice trade in London, Georgian modes of transport, burial sites under the City, blood poisoning and so on. I really enjoyed the course, I think more through the effort I eventually put in than the inspiration of the course matter itself. The course is also fairly basic but the most disappointing aspect was that when you have finished your final assignment there is no further information available. I expected some sort of well done letter plus a synopsis of where to go from there. They could encourage you into taking what you have learned into a career. They could also provide a list of useful links or further reading material, assuming you have looked at everything they have already given you.

And to my main point: ICS should send the diploma which you have worked so hard to achieve!! Since April I have contacted : my tutor who told me to contact customer services and customer services five times. Each time they have apologised that the last person didn’t send the diploma and assured me they would. I know that the proof is in the writing and I don’t actually need this piece of paper but as they say; it’s the principle! What has really annoyed during my most recent effort was that my call was answered, I explained I was asking where my diploma was and before asking for my name the man on the line sniggered and said it was in the post then put the phone down on me! This is disgusting! I rang them back on a different number and was put on hold indefinitely! I could still be holding now for all I know. It’s not much to ask as they publicised it in the first place and took money for it. So now I am writing a complaint letter to them and will update this space with any further information I get.

Good luck to all those still doing their courses!

17.11.04 - Update...........
After one more attempt at complaining, this time by stroppy email I have received my diploma - hurrah! With it I received a letter congratulating me on having just finished my course. Shame they couldn't stretch to an apology but obviously they only have one standard letter template! Anyway, Im glad I have it in my sticky palms now, I'd better go do something with it!

• KateHurst published 26/05/2009
    Sorry to hear to had such a bad experience - the first thing I thought of was, supposing you went to a job interview, you wouldn't be able to show your qualification to prove you had it. (Which the adverts would suggest is the whole point of this organisation - to get qualifications to give you new skills.) A shame the tutors aren't more "structured" - I know what you mean about needing somebody to make sure you have completed tasks, even if it just prods you into getting organised.
  • Little-Princess published 26/05/2009
    I also took this course... Whilst I found it exciting and such. I found that alot of the words were mis-spelt and my diploma is actually spelt wrong too!!! Just gets better and better
  • jesi published 27/09/2005
    ................................................................................................................................................ - at least then you will keep it longer!... - &#9829;&#9829; - jes &#8776;&#8776;&#8776;&#8776;{; -)-{{::::: |||||< &#9829;&#9829;

Product Information : ICS Diplomas