ICS Diplomas

Member since : 15/05/2009
Satisfactory
Pro Some nice tutors
Cons Too much to say

"Up and down like a roller coaster..ICS probably not!"

Their advert says ICS you can.... I feel ICS you maybe will maybe won't!!!

I have so far taken 3 GCSE'S and 1 diploma with ICS... I must add I will no longer be taking any more.

*My experience with their GCSE course material.*

I will give you a little bit of my background, I left school when I was 13 after being bullied and made to feel extremely unwelcome at the worst excuse for a school ever.
My parents rufused to send me to another school so I started to be home educated!
They bought me 3 GCSE courses to do which were English, Food studies(Can't remember the exact name) and History.
I became aware at the start that alot of the work you study from is spelt wrong! Worrying when you are learning English from them and working alone to better yourself.
There were lots of spelling and grammar mistakes, which I did highlight to them when they gave me a form to fill in after I had finished my courses, I just guess they aren't interested in that kind of information.
Whilst some of the study material was helpful I did find I had to go on the internet quite alot to get some of my coursework done.

*My experience with their GCSE tutors*

When you buy your home study course and send off your first assignment you are alloted a tutor who will or should be there to help you and mark your assignments.
Out of the three tutors I had to deal with the nicest was the History tutor who was kind enough to guide me and give me as many pointers as he legally could!

My worst experience with the tutors was when I came to start the English course.
When you finish a piece of coursework the tutor will phone you to talk through it!
The tutor I was unfortunately given was one of the rudest people I have ever had the unfortunate chance of talking to.
Throughout my course she decided to belittle both me and my mum with some rather rude snide comments.
One of these included ''DO YOU EVEN READ?'' and ''THERE IS NO POINT WHATSOEVER IN YOU TAKING YOUR COURSE THIS YEAR YOU WILL FAIL'' (I actually came out of this course with a C no thanks to her as I could have actually gone in for the higher tier and done even better)
I can't see how this was any help to me it just caused me to re-think myself and made me worry! Which could have easily caused me to cancel taking my exam or even failing as I had no confidence in myself after she made those rude comments.
I complained to ICS but they didn't bother communicating with me at all!

*Experience with ICS Diploma course material*

I took a diploma in Journalism with ICS, whilst this material was better than the GCSE material it was still full of spelling mistakes.
The information in this course was of a higher standard than the GCSE's material.
Again I did let ICS know that there was plenty of spelling mistakes in the material but yet again they didn't bother to take up my complaints!

*My experience with ICS Diploma Tutor*
This tutor explained everything to me perfectly.
He helped me go from very small boring pieces of journalism to some longer more interesting pieces.
He gave me plenty of pointers and actually boosted my confidence instead of taking my confidence away.
One thing that did make me laugh though was my journalism certificate was also spelt wrong and they still have yet to send me a correctly spelt one!

*Overall*
My overall opinion is to stay away from ICS, there are plenty of more helpful and cheaper distance learning companies.
My best experience with ICS was for my Diploma although I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone!
I hope this will help some of you out!!

• Little-Princess published 26/05/2009
    Very much so! Thereddragon- I did find that rather worrying! My mum was the one who first noticed it... I did have to laugh though.... Only because I couldn't do anything else :P
  • ChemicalRomance published 26/05/2009
    Sound like lovely tutors! Not xx
  • KateHurst published 26/05/2009
    I have never actually studied via them but often see the TV adverts. Seems like the quality of the tutor is unpredictable - which probably didn't help you much since you had left the mainstream education system. Makes me wonder if the tutors go through any kind of training themselves to make them more effective, or if it's like driving instructors - some are good and some are bad.

Product Information : ICS Diplomas