Review of "IKEA Expedit"

published 06/03/2013 | Chrisheels
Member since : 18/10/2012
Pro Well priced, solid, weighty and an ideal storage solution
Cons heavy
Style & Appearance
Ease of Assembly

"Storage solution for all"

After moving into my own house last year after renting around London for the last 10, I found myself in a 3 bed house and not much more than clothes, a stereo and a cactus. Being deperatley in need of some furniture and on a tight budget after blowing far too much money on the essential massive TV, a trip to IKEA was inevitable.

After wandering around and selecting a range of wardrobes, bookshelves and a range of fairly useless gadgets I spotted the Expedit bookcases at a reasonable value and decided they would make perfect additions to my house. They come in a range of sizes so I selected the largest for the living room as a storage solution and a mid sized one for the kitchen where all my cooking apparatus is now stored.
Options

The Expedit bookcase comes in a rane of colours and sizes. You can choose from Red, White, Grey, Black or wood effect. I have a white one in the kitchen and a black one in the living room. Looking at the IKEA website reveals a wide range of sizes build up from different numbers of cubes or shelves. These range from squares of 4x4cubes, 5x5cubes, 2x2 cubes, to recatangles 2x3 and 2x4 cubes. I went for the large and medium with the following dimensions:

Large - 5 x 5 cubes - Width: 185 cm Depth: 39 cm Height: 185 cm
Medium - 4 x 4 ciubes - Width: 149 cm Depth: 39 cm Height: 149 cm

In addition to choosing the size and colour, you can select from a range of draws, baskets and doors each designed to fit into one of the square shelves of the unit. There is even an attachable desk which can be fitted onto the bookcase. I didn;t go for any of the options but thought them worth mentioning.

Getting it home

Luckily I had planned a trip to IKEA the day I moved in and had hired a van for the ocassion knowing I would be needing a lot of furniture. The Expedit bookcase comes supplied in 2 boxes which I belive would be manageable in a large car (with the seat folded down unless you happen to be the owner of a limo). The boxes are pretty heavy as there is a lot of wood making up the bookcases. It would be advisable to have two people carrying it (If you have a limo maybe the chauffer could help).
Construction

As with most IKEA furniture the bookcases are flat pack and require assembly. Basically it is a case of using the allen key provided to screw the outer square frame together and then building the shelves gradually using wooden dowels. It is a simple build but takes quite a long time due to the number of shelves involved and close to a million wooden dowels that support them (an exaggeration maybe).
It is built laying down so takes up a fair bit of floorspace when building and will need lifting up. Once constructed it is very heavy. I managed it by myself but would strongly suggest getting a pair of helping hands (Or the Limo owners could just get the butler to do it).

===Use==

These are sold as book cases, however I use them for display of ornaments and storage of various items. Each shelf can take around 13kg which is a fairly considerable load (That is quite a few faberge eggs). My medium unit in the kitchen stores almost all of my cooking essentials and various appliances when not in use. The larger one in the living room is quite imposing, but really useful and stores a lot of items easily and tidily.

===Quality===

I always expect the worst from Ikea, but these bokcases are extremely solid and weighty. I've owned them for around a year and they have shown no wear at all. I had no problems building them and am overall extremel impressed with the quality.

Cleaning

My only annoyance with these bookcases is cleaning them. Due to the large number of individual shelves it takes alot of shuffling to move things and dust. The black one particulary seems to attract dust like a dust magnet.
Price

I paid £145 for the large unit and £85 for the medium one. I think this is extremely reasonable for the bookcases as when compared to other similar sized furniture it is extremely cheap.

Summary

Well priced, solid, weighty and an ideal storage solution. Easy to build and highly recommended by me. Would fit well into your castle.