IKEA Rast Bedside Table

IKEA Rast Bedside Table

Solid wood, a hardwearing natural material. Untreated solid wood - can be treated with lacquer, wax, stain or oil for a more durable surface.

Review of "IKEA Rast Bedside Table"

published 20/04/2012 | michelley26
Member since : 11/11/2009
Pro cheap, can be painted or stained
Cons none
Style & Appearance
Ease of Assembly

"paint or stain it for a more original look"

I have two of these Ikea Rast bedside tables in the porch. I use them as shoe benches / shoe racks.

The Rast bedside table costs just £8.99. It comes in untreated wood, so that you can paint or stain it yourself if you want it to match your other furniture or decor, or you can just leave it as it is. There is also a matching 3 drawer chest of drawers in the Rast range at just £15.99, again in untreated wood.

I've painted both of mine, and I've put a padded cushion on the top shelf. We use them to sit on and put on or take off dirty shoes in the porch. The shoes then go on the bottom shelf of the bedside table.
Although they are not really designed to sit on, but we've had no problems so far, we only sit on them for a few minutes at a time anyway. They seem really sturdy and they are not wobbly or rickety at all.

These were really easy to put together, it took me around 30 minutes to assemble the both of them. The bedside tables are just in 4 pieces, the two shelves and the two side panels, you just attach the shelves to the side panels. The size of the assembled bedside table is 52cm wide, 32 cm deep, and 40 cm high.

For just £8.99, I don't think that you can go wrong with these. I think that the basic design lends itself to various uses, you could use them as bedside tables as is the original idea, or shoe benches like we have, or a tv stand with a dvd player underneath, a small side table, a small cabinet, many places really.
I'm really pleased with ours, I'm glad that I painted them, I think that it takes away from the Ikea look, and creates something a bit more original, at a bargain price.

• RICHADA published 13/08/2012
    I knew I should have built a bigger porch! R.