ANNJSEC 1

ANNJSEC

Member since:05.12.2000

CORNFLAKES TRISH DEADBEATS AND LOSERS

20.11.2001

Advantages:
Don't have to suffer it of an evening

Disadvantages:
boring miserable sad

Recommendable No:

24 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. jeszikca
  2. NTRob
  3. super_stevo
  1. xdonzx
somewhat helpful by (2%):
  1. super_reviewer

Working from home has its benefits and its drawbacks. The benefits are getting up late when I want to, not having to leave my dog alone, always being on top of the housework and sometimes watching morning television before starting my working day. The drawbacks..............some of the television programmes.......and most especially TRISHA.

Just what sort of people feel the need to express their most intimate thoughts, feelings and desires on National Television? I find it absolutely amazing that they can be so impressed by television personalities and the lure of having l5 minutes of fame that they will discuss their love lives, sex lives, perversions or handicaps, either emotional or physical before hundreds of thousands of people.

It is also extremely sad as the majority of the people interviewed are very obviously of limited intelligence and totally incapable of arguing their case with the televised audience which almost always contains at least half a dozen professionals (usually the same ones over and over again). The victims therefore are often belittled, demeaned and embarrassed in front of the cameras. Worse, after being egged on to say much more than I'm sure they really wanted to on television, they are left to go home and face the music with family and friends.

In the meantime Trisha puts her hand to her face and gives her most concerned expression whilst passing judgement and giving (very limited) advice to the very people who are providing her with an enormous salary. Before anyone comments that she is a qualified counsellor.......yes I have read that and I also know she feels she has suffered in life, having had a nervous breakdown following her husband's adulterous affair,. Personally, however, I feel that having gone through so much herself, she should know that allowing her "guests" to make complete fools of themselves is hardly going to boost their morale. I also doubt that she loses any sleep thinking of the chaos she may have caused for these people once they leave the televison studios.

Having said that, some of the guests do seem to have huge egos......and voices.... and feel no shame in airing the family's dirty laundry in public. To my mind this leads to cringe making, not enjoyable television viewing.

The show follows the usual Jerry Springer, Rikki Lake formula and not surprisingly clashes with the patronising silver haired Kilroy on BBC. Amazingly, each day, the subject on both channels is almost identical and the viewer could be forgiven for switching channels and not realising he had done so. "I love my dog more than you" on Kilroy will have Trisha's guests dealing with "Either the dog goes or I do". etc.,

With Esther, Rikki, Oprah, Jerry, etc., etc., isn't it about time the programme selectors realised we've now had overkill! ! ! Perhaps they just don't do any work, but spend their days having coffee while the viewer is left watching second rate programmes that they cannot allocate to evening schedules.

Unfortunately both Kilroy and Trisha clash with my morning coffee, so just as I'm about to have a well earned rest having seen everyone else off to work, I turn on the t.v. only to be bored to death by miserable, sad and often downright morbid subjects which depress me for the remainder of the day.

NO MORE I SAY. ..... I'M TURNING TRISHA AND CO. OFF and if the programme makers have any sense so will they and they need to be quick about it too.

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

super_reviewer 19.10.2007 01:43

"I also doubt that she loses any sleep thinking of the chaos she may have caused for these people once they leave the televison studios." ^ I've been to see the show in the studios, and MOST people say the experience helps them and an audience member's comments has made them change and get help.

jeszikca 20.04.2003 12:11

I find this very entertaining now and then! You have to laugh though, don't you?

NTRob 11.03.2003 15:41

Superb!! You really do say it all, how ITV justify this repetitive, bizzare, morkish facination with social dysfunction is beyond me.