IT Support Analyst

Review of "IT Support Analyst"

published 16/03/2011 | TheHairyGodmother
Member since : 10/02/2006
Please visit my website, www.themoneypirate.com
Pro rewarding carrer, good for problem solvers
Cons users can be very stupid sometimes

"Rewarding and Frustrating... All at once!"

IT Support Analyst

The first eight years of my working life were spent working in various finance related jobs, ranging from accounts assistant up to senior credit controller and credit analyst. The work was OK, but also monotonous and repetitive. It had never been my intention to start work in finance, in fact from a young age; my dream was always to work with computers. Sadly, circumstances at the time meant I needed a job quickly and I had to take the first thing that came up, a stupid accounts assistant position. After working in the sector for eight years, I decided enough was enough. Whilst working for my current employer as a Senior Credit Analyst, I had started to look elsewhere for jobs working in IT, particularly in first and second level support. As luck would have it, a few weeks later, a lady in our IT department at work handed in her notice. Needless to say, as soon as I found out, I immediately expressed my interest in her position. Of course, having worked for my company for five years already this gave me an advantage in that I knew the company, I knew the staff and I knew (most) of the systems. Some weeks later, I was invited for an interview, and a month later I became an IT Support Analyst. My Dream. Or so I thought…

Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. I love it very much. The problem comes in that working as an IT Support Analyst can be very frustrating indeed…

I have now been working as an IT Support Analyst for the past two years. During that time, I have got plenty of positives from my job, but also plenty of negatives. In all honesty, the negatives probably outweigh the positives. This is because in a business environment, nobody likes the IT guys. Stupid really. They like them when they sort out a problem they have on their computer, but when they start implementing things like workstation policies, internet usage policies etc, everybody is quick to slag them off.

The Type of Business I Work For

I work for a major sports ground in London Zone 2. The good thing about IT Support is that every company needs IT Support. The bad thing is that there are so many different software and hardware solutions that if you want to get a new job, you might find yourself having to get to grips with totally new systems and hardware specifications. In my job I have to provide IT support for 200 full time members of staff and over a thousand temporary and casual staff. As a sports ground, our software and hardware systems will undoubtedly be different to those of major high street banks or the stock exchange for example. As an example of this, we have software that is capable of holding a membership database, software for issuing tickets for games, software for processing our accounts, software to control our meetings and events bookings, software to monitor our energy usage. The list goes on, and as an IT Support Analyst, I have to support not just all these pieces of individual software, but the operating systems, the network, internet usage and maintain all 22 of our servers. I work for a major cricket ground. As such, a lot of our income generating business is seasonal. That doesn’t mean that our full time staff aren’t there all year round, in fact, our full time staff are there every single day! Processing invoices, processing new membership applications (with an 18 year waiting list), taking new bookings for corporate and private functions, taking new cricket net bookings, taking tennis or squash bookings etc. With so many processes going on day in day out, it is inevitable that I am a very busy bunny most days. What with trying to support staff with computer problems to trying to constantly ensure our network is safe and secure, taking daily backups, updating servers, ordering and installing new hardware etc, my job is busy. In the summer months when the cricket season is in full swing, I not only have to work Monday to Friday, but also weekends as well. This can be very tiring, especially seeing as we don’t get much reward for it other than a day off in lieu. Major Match Days can be exhausting. We are expected to arrive at work before 7am and rarely finish before 8pm. Luckily I don’t have to do all this on my own. There are four of us within the IT Department, all busy scurrying around the ground like maniacs.
What Does My Job Involve?

A lot! Simply.

My main day to day job is to provide prompt and effective first line user support for all IT hardware and software used by the club either through direct support of users or through liaison with external product suppliers. This can be very frustrating as a lot of our users still live in the age of manual ledger books and typewriters. I frequently get phone calls which I consider to be a waste of my time. For instance, I get calls such as:

User: “Hello, my computer isn’t working”
Me: “OK, what seems to be the problem?”
User: “It won’t come on”
Me: “Is it plugged in”
User: “Oh, no it isn’t”

That sort of scenario really makes me so angry that people have the nerve to waste my time when the issue was something that should have been the first thing they checked. Alternatively I get issues such as:

User: “Hello, I am trying to install some software on my computer but it says I don’t have administrator rights”
Me: “What software”
User: “Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004”
Me: “This is a work computer, not your home computer!”

As you can see, working in IT Support, particularly with regard to the general day to day support of users can be very tiresome and very frustrating. Equally frustrating can be an issue where there is a major problem with a database that you just can’t seem to resolve. I know I should see this as a challenge to be beaten, but after you have exhausted all the ideas in your head, it’s back to trusted Google to try and resolve the issue.

As part of my job I also manage the clubs internal telephone system, from arranging contractors to lay cables between buildings, to managing the extension numbers and database of every user in the club and managing their telephone hardware. Talking of telephones, we also have a number of users who have Club Mobile Phones. I am also responsible for managing the contracts and support of the devices as well as checking the invoices for personal use and signing them off for payment. You will be surprised how many users (presumably because its not their own) don’t take care of their Club phones.

“I left my phone in the back of a taxi” springs to mind.

Of course my job isn’t just about the physical support that I have to provide, there is also an awful lot of behind the scenes paperwork and records that need keeping, ranging from asset and licence registers detailing all our hardware and software licences, to ensuring that backups of all 22 servers are completed every day and running server health checks.

In addition, as a public ground, it is my responsibility to issue staff passes to the 200 full time members of staff and the 1000+ casual workers each year, not to mention contractors and media passes!

Every time we receive a call this has to be recorded in our tracking software and assigned to a technician. As the baby of the office, most jobs invariably get assigned to me, whilst the others sit there and munch on doughnuts and drink coffee!

Would I Recommend a Career as an IT Support Analyst?

Yes I would. Yes, it can be very frustrating, but it can also be very rewarding, particularly when you manage to solve an issue that has been bugging you for weeks!

If you would like a career as an IT Support Analyst, there are various things that you need to consider, obvious things such as working hours, salary etc, but also whether you are capable of a career in IT.

Responsibilities (Mine – As a guide only as all companies are different)

* To maintain networked PC based systems using Microsoft Office products, Word, Access, Excel and Powerpoint.

* Running the tracking system to ensure all calls are logged and handled appropriately

* Administer moves and changes in Active Directory

* Ordering and Installing new PC’s

* Maintaining an asset register of all hardware and software on the network

* Ensuring the smooth running of the network across the whole of the ground

* Providing prompt and effective first line user support for all IT hardware and software used by the club either through direct support or through liaison with external product suppliers.

* Record and implement “moves and changes” for the Club’s telephone system liaising with the external support and maintenance company as necessary

* Maintain appropriate records to include; IT asset register, software licences, backup operations, server health checks, staff passes and door access cards

* Maintain a library of IT systems documentation

* Help administer and deliver the staff IT training program

* Prepare purchase orders, follow ups and check invoices etc before payment

* Maintain the CAT5 100/1000 network and Wi-Fi network

* Ensure the club has adequate security in place

* Work with colleagues to identify opportunities for improving the service offered by the IT Department as a whole.

The above list is by no means an exhaustive list of my duties, but covers the main points. If you are planning a career in IT, bear in mind that all companies are different, although you will be required to carry out several of the points above as standard, particularly with regard to network infrastructure and desktop support.

Requirements of the Job

* Good communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with other members of staff

* Experience of supporting Microsoft operating systems and Office products in a networked environment

* Must be able to work outside of normal office hours on occasions when system maintenance requires it.

* Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.

Essential Skills

* A good understanding of MS Windows 2000/2003, XP. Vista, 7, Microsoft Office 2003

* Exchange Server 2000/2003 Admin

* Good interpersonal skills

* Understanding of ISA Server

Useful Skills (but not essential)

* MCP/MCSA Qualifications

* SQL Admin Skills

For me, working as an IT Support Analyst has given me new opportunities; it has been both rewarding and frustrating. I will continue my career as it is at present, but I hope at some point to move more towards web design than IT Support. This is much more enjoyable and I won’t have to deal with morons who don’t know their CD Drive from their cup holder!

Average Salary: £30,000

• danielclark691 published 20/01/2017
    well covered
  • chrisandmark_is_here published 06/12/2011
    My worst nightmare of a job... x
  • LadyValkyrie published 08/09/2011
    Absolutely NOT the job for me but you have really given good advice here.

Product Information : IT Support Analyst