I Ching (The Book of Changes) - Thomas Cleary

I Ching (The Book of Changes) - Thomas Cleary

Non-Fiction - Philosophy - ISBN: 0140192077

Review of "I Ching (The Book of Changes) - Thomas Cleary"

published 11/11/2004 | Ashiro
Member since : 15/09/2004
Pro Clear and concise.
Cons Front cover doesn't fit with the meaning and mood of the book.
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"Another great I Ching book"

The I Ching - or Book of Changes - is one of the greatest classical Chinese texts still in existence. Originally compiled from ancient Daoist texts by Confucious. It provides the ability to divine your present, past, future, inner and outer state through the use of trigrams. As simple as tossing a set of three coins and finding the corresponding trigrams that build up into a complex set of patterns to be read. The complex readings that come from this show an insight into your life that no other divining method I have seen has. I've used tarot, numerology and astrology but I Ching provides such a powerful and rich description as opposed to the usual vagueness of other divining methods that when you've used it once you'll be astounded by its abilities. Having read a number of Shambala publications and having two copies of this I Ching classic I can safely say this is one of my favourites. Cleary has written two more books on the subject of I Ching both of which costing more but also a worthy investment. This book, however, offers clear, concise instruction of the I Ching and how to use the trigrams to divine your own path in the world. Other books can often get bogged down in too many intricacies or history but this book strikes a good balance and provides a useful and very interesting read.
Whether merely a passing interest or part of a deeper study of Chinese and Daoist philosophy I can garuntee this book will be a pleasure to read and you will keep coming back to it time and time again.

• MAFARRIMOND published 12/11/2004
    I have the book . Welcome to Ciao. Maureen
  • tyllwyd published 12/11/2004
    I haven't rated your review because I guess that there must be several different translations of the Chinese text. Your review doesn't seem to give the basic information of the author, publisher, publication year, so I wouldn't be able to go and find the edition you have reviewed. If you could add in that information, I'd be happy to go back and rate. Jenny xx
  • Ashiro published 11/11/2004
    Thankyou for all the kind comments. I didn't expect everyone at Ciao to be so welcoming. I shall be writing some more reviews as I read a LOT of books regularly. I'll put some work into making them some of the best. Thankyou everyone.