I Remember Me - Jennifer Hudson

I Remember Me - Jennifer Hudson

1 CD(s) - Pop R&B - Label: Arista - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services - Released: 25/04/2011 - 886978626028, 886978625021

Review of "I Remember Me - Jennifer Hudson"

published 26/01/2012 | luceey
Member since : 11/06/2009
Thank you for taking the time to read and rate my reviews, I will always return rates... I am also on Dooyoo as xxlucexx.
Pro Uplifting, inspirational and overall a very positive album.
Cons 2 weak tracks.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Lyrics

"I Remember This. "

I Remember Me by Jennifer Hudson.

Jennifer Hudson, born September 12 1981, is famous for being an inspirational musician and actress with outstanding talent. She got her first big break on American Idol in 2004 and since then has gone on to have a fantastic music career and even win an Oscar for her role in the movie Dreamgirls. Jennifer is best known for her phenomenal singing voice and her soulful music. After coming 7th on American Idol, Jennifer bounced back and landed the role of Effie White, starring alongside Beyonce, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls. Not only has Jennifer gone on to appear in other great films such as Sex and the City: The Movie and Fragments, she has also managed to keep up her music career, transform her look and have a family. Jennifer’s strength and determination continue to amaze me as she carries on working and getting better at what she does despite battling through personal devastation after her mother, brother and nephew were all brutally murdered. Jennifer manages to balance time for her busy career, an incredible weight loss, her fiancé and baby and she is still producing fantastic music and films; what a woman!

This album, I Remember Me, is Jennifer’s second album and was released in April 2011. The album is said to be more personal than Jennifer’s debut release and on it she has worked with some incredible writers such as; Alicia Keys, R.Kelly and Ne-Yo. There are a total of 14 tracks on the album, all based upon a soul and R&B sound. The album cover shows a very beautiful Jennifer Hudson posing in a purple dress with a lake in the background.

Track 1: No One Gonna Love You

The album starts off with a song which showcases Jennifer’s vocal ability. Her vocals in this song are incredibly impressive and controlled in all the right places. There are a lot of quick lyrics in this song but they work very well against the somewhat relaxed instrumentals. A perfect R&B song.

Track 2: I Got This

This is an upbeat, inspirational track from Jennifer. The lyrics speak volumes and are very uplifting. The song is about believing in yourself and never giving up; ‘I keep going’. Jennifer’s voice is a delight to listen to and the song is soulful and promotes hope.

Track 3: Where You At

R.Kelly wrote and produced this song so I knew that it was going to be amazing before I even heard it. I can imagine him singing this song when I listen to it, it is 100% his style. A great smooth R&B track which shows off Jennifer’s voice and R.Kelly’s song writing talents.

Track 4: Angel

A great R&B track which has a strong piano instrumental throughout and very elaborate vocals. When I first heard this song I thought wow, this sounds like a song Alicia Keys would sing, mainly due to the high angel note in the chorus. Therefore there was no surprise when I found out it was written and produced by Alicia Keys. It still definitely has that Jennifer Hudson edge to it though.

Track 5: I Remember Me

Jennifer Hudson co-wrote this album title track. The lyrics are very personal and inspirational. This song is Jennifer Hudson at her best; it is loud, catchy and full of meaning.

Track 6: Gone

A very catchy track with a pop feel to it. Ester Dean co-wrote this song and it shows as it definitely has her classic yet current style to it. The chorus is my favourite part as Jennifer sings over the backing vocals and the instrumentals kick in to give this song real power.

Track 7: Everybody Needs Love

Another song co-written by the legendary Alicia Keys. Not one of my favourites, I must say. I do enjoy Jennifer’s inspirational speech in the song though, telling people who want love that they can find love. A bit of a repetitive track but still good.

Track 8: Why Is It So Hard

This song has a lovely and very gentle piano accompaniment which makes it very catchy and really stands out in the song. Jennifer’s voice suit’s the upbeat style of the song and even though the song asks the question ’Why is it so hard to love you?’, it is still soft and calm.

Track 9: Don’t Look Down

This song has an upbeat clap beat behind it and will have you tapping your feet. The song is about not looking back or having any doubt. It is very catchy but in my opinion not one of the strongest songs on the album.

Track 10: Still Here

This song was written by the incredible Diane Warren. It is a very emotional ballad which may make you shed a tear or two. It is about people who are ‘Still Here’ in your heart, even though they are not here. It is one of my favourite tracks on the album, mainly because of how genuine and beautiful it is.

Track 11: Feeling Good

Yes it is the classic Feeling Good; ‘dragon flies out in the sun, you know what I mean’. Jennifer takes this song and really creates an incredible piece of music. No one can sing quite as powerfully as her or with such conviction, definitely one of my favourite covers I have heard in a long time.

Track 12: Believe

The title of this song represents everything that this album is about. Jennifer’s vocal on this track is simply stunning. It is a smooth ballad with a jazz edge to it and a whole lot of soul. The song tells a story and is a delight to listen to, originally it was sung by the country music duo Brooks & Dun.

Track 13: Spotlight

Just in case you don’t have Jennifer’s first album, here is her biggest hit from it Spotlight. It is a lovely R&B track about feeling trapped under the spotlight of somebody else in a troubled relationship.

Track 14: Love Is Your Colour (feat. Leona Lewis)

Two amazing voices and one incredible ballad which slightly resembles the classic True Colours. Jennifer and Leona’s voice sound beautiful together and it is great to hear them come together to produce this fantastic music. The theme of belief, which has run through the whole album, is still very present in this last song.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to this album. I love the positive message behind it and all of the songs which are about self-belief and are full or inspirational lyrics. The album is classy, soulful and meaningful. Some amazing writers have worked on this album with Jennifer Hudson and their contributions have taken her music to another level. I loved Jennifer’s first album but if I was to compare it with this one then I would say that I Remember Me is much better. I feel like she has really come into her own as an artist on this album and that it is personal to her and her life. There are a few tracks on this album that I would skip but overall it is an outstanding record. I think that my favourite track is Where You At as I love R.Kelly’s influence and his sound. A lot of love, hard work and passion has gone into this album and that is why it is so genuine and uplifting. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who enjoys R&B/soul music!

This album can be downloaded from iTunes for £6.99.

Summary: an album full of positivity.

• Jake_Speed published 27/01/2012
    Super write up. Gets an E from me!
  • daisyleex published 26/01/2012
    E xx
  • catsholiday published 26/01/2012
    Nicely reviewed. Captured the feeling of the album

offers "I Remember Me - Jennifer Hudson"