MatthewFo... 5

MatthewForshaw

Member since:20.01.2004

A MASA features for the money!

29.01.2004 (31.01.2004)

Advantages:
Sound, Construction, Interface

Disadvantages:
Strings (see within)

How well constructed is it?

Appearance

Quality of sound

Playability

Range of tonesquite rich

Quality of intonationexcellent

How easy is it to buy accessories?easy

Recommended forall levels

2. Muddy250
  3. zoe_page

Commemorative?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Although I know little about the history of the guitar, I have understood that this range has been created to commemorate the life of an ex-president of the Ibanez Guitar Company, Masao “Masa” Hoshino who was in that capacity within the company from 1981 to 1984. This in itself is proof of the quality of this guitar, knowing that it has been created to pay homage to a man who has played a huge part in the progression of Ibanez.

Features
~~~~~~~~
The SX72 features an excellent AP2 Magnetic Soundhole Pickup and a Fishman Sonicore Bridge Pickup, controlled by the AEQ3MX Active EQ (3-Band). This guitar is constructed of ash with a high gloss finish available in both Black Cherry and Blue Sunburst. The guitar is also equipped with chrome die-cast tuning mechanisms which look stunning against the black of the guitar head. The combination of the gloss finish and the excellent equipment results in superb looks.

~~~~~~~~
Although I have only owned this for about 6 months now, I have not noticed anything go wrong at all with it, this instrument seems very durable despite the odd smash off the electric piano or hifi. A number of friends and myself believe that the construction is easily comparable to that of a Takamine acoustic or another guitar of a similar stature.

Playability
~~~~~~~~
I have found this acoustic a very easy guitar to play, despite being a beginner to acoustic guitar when I first started playing it. The dimensions of the fret board and the body of the instrument are absolutely perfect meaning that learning the optimum playing stance is easy for beginners.

Modifications
~~~~~~~~~~~
One thing which I have noticed while using this guitar is that it is very easy to make small alterations to the guitar if required. Although I haven’t changed them because for my needs these components are fantastic, I know a number of people with this guitar which have had no problem in changing the AEQ3MX controls and also changed the pickup without much bother. This is an extremely positive asset to the instrument allowing relatively cheap upgrades if required.

The Strings
~~~~~~~~~~
I have decided to dedicate a section of this review to the strings which are provided with the guitar. I believe that there is an issue which should be addressed, although very minor. Despite washing my hands and trying thoroughly before playing any of my instruments I have found that on this guitar the strings have begun to disintegrate rather quickly, acquiring a rather large collection of green material (almost a rust or mould-like substance) on the strings. In conclusion to this issue, I would recommend that if you purchase this guitar it would be worth buying a spare set of strings in case you have the same types of strings fitted as I had.

Suitability for the Beginner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Provided that the beginner is not of a young age or with small hands who would better suit a miniature acoustic, this is an excellent beginners acoustic-electric guitar. There isn’t anything too cumbersome about it and learning on this would be a dream (as it has been for me). If you wish to spend this amount on a first guitar, I would highly recommend that you do. In simple terms “if you can afford it, get it”! :o)

Support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the time of writing this revision of the review I have had no contact with Ibanez support. When I have had experience with them which warrants an opinion, it will be found here! :-p

Pricing & Availability
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I bought my SX72 in J.G.Windows (a shop in Newcastle Upon Tyne) in August of last year for roughly £350. Although this was the list price for the guitar, I was able to tempt the staff into providing a wide range of accessories with this including a high quality strap, an excellent gig bag, and a pile of picks the size of a mountain! :o) I have been very pleased with J.G. Windows in their generosity and excellent service, meaning I have purchased every guitar I own from this shop.

Muddy250 31.01.2004 14:20

Have promised myself a Takamine one day.... Chris

Dave_UK 31.01.2004 03:07

I am a guitarist myself :) an excellent review for what appears to be an excellent guitar! Dave_UK

salem_witch 30.01.2004 12:05

A belated welcome to Ciao. Great op I hope to read more!