Ikea Billy Bookshelf

Ikea Billy Bookshelf

Shelving Unit

Review of "Ikea Billy Bookshelf"

published 06/03/2013 | Chrisheels
Member since : 18/10/2012
Pro cheap, sturdy
Cons heavy
Style & Appearance
Ease of Assembly

"A Bookcase Called Billy"

When moving into my house last year I realised that to store all my CDs and DVDs in something a little more permenant than the 'pile' system I had used in my previous rental flats. Owning close around 500 of each I didn't fancy using about 20 racks all over the place, so on a furnishing trip to IKEA I choose two of the billy bookcases to fit the purpose. Luckily they fit perfecly into the two alcoves in my living room and provide storage for a large number of CDs, DVDs, photo albulms and even a playstation (with my added work of drilling a hole in the back for the wires.

Options

The billy bookcase is part of an IKEA range and comes in several sizes and colours. I chose black which fits my living room well, however you can choose from a range of white, wood effect, black, blue, brown, yellow and even a funky patterned design.

I won't list all the sizes here, but you can choose from a range of widths and heights from 2 shelves tall to 6 shelves high. I chose the largest size which measures Width: 80 cm, Depth: 39 cm, Height: 202 cm and fits perfectly in the space available in my living room.

You can also buy extra shelves and corner fittings if yuo want to adapt the bookcase. I stuck with the original 6 shelves, although could easily add another one for another row of CDs.
=The Build

As with a lot of IKEA furniture, it comes flat pack and requires assembly. It's provided in 2 packages which might be astruggle to get in car (luckily I had a van available for the day). I found it pretty straightforward nd it is carried out by screwing the outer frame together using the provided allen key, nailing the back panel on and then slotting in the shelves. It's quite weighty to move (approximatley 52kg), but I found it manageable on my own.

===Use==

As described above, this bookcase provides a lot of storage. The shelves are deep and I have no trouble storing large photo albulms neatly.
The build quality is good and the unit feels robust and solid and doesn't flex at all when loaded with a lot of stuff. IKEA state each shelf can take 14.3kg...which is loads.

===Price===

At £80 per bookcase (ranging from much lower for the smaller ones) I think these are exceptional value. They may be more expensive than Argos or other value brands, but they really are good quality and solid.

Summary

Well priced, solid, weighty and an ideal storage solution. Easy to build and highly recommended.

• Kukana published 07/03/2013
    We are also fans of Billy bookcases! We have four large ones, mostly for books and four smaller ones with extended tops, also for books. I particularly like being able to buy extra shelves so that DVDs can be stored more efficiently.