Review of "Ikea Ivar Shelving System"

published 10/11/2000 | philltowns
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Cheap, Unfinished softwood, Highly compatible with every room, Strong, Easy to construct, Easy to change layout, Easy to addon extra parts at a later date
Cons Can look a little plain (lke scaffolding) if not painted or waxed.
Ease of Assembly

"IVAR good shelving unit from IKEA"

Having worked at IKA for two years, I have learnt which of the products are good in which areas, and which are the best value. I needed some shelving in my bedroom and the IVAR range seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Not only was IVAR fairly cheap, it was also beyond easy to build, the number of combination possibilities was endless, the unfinshed softwood the units were made out of meant that I could paint, wax, oil, etc to any colour to match my room.

If you put a shelf in place, and then feel it doesn't fit in well, it's not a case of having to undo the whole unit - you simply lift the shelf up, move the four supporting metal pins to a different level, and place the pin down again.

The IVAR range is compatble with just about every room in a house - incorporating such pieces as a drop-leaf table, plain and glass-door cabinets, a PC shelf, a desktop, a cover and clothes rail (to make a wardrobe), and many different sizes of side unit and shelves to fit in just about any area. The possibilites for later expansion are infinite as well.

All in all, IVAR is a very good system, and I would recommend that anyone needing more space around the home should seriously consider purchasing it. Have a look at www.ikea.co.uk for more info.

• offy published 05/05/2004
    I think this is the range we had in our old house. It might be worth adding what it looks like to your review, so that people might be able to recognise them. Nice to read a review from someone who really know the product!
  • busybee1 published 06/02/2004
    Couldn't sgree more about IKEA products...my flat is full of them!!