Ikea Kitchen Systems

Ikea Kitchen Systems

Kitchen Company

Review of "Ikea Kitchen Systems"

published 31/01/2007 | hollypopple
Member since : 25/06/2005
Pro Good quality, service, cost and installers
Cons Not installed as soon as promised
Ease of Assembly

"The quality best low-cost kitchen available"

I bought my Ikea kitchen with Adel cupboard fronts a year ago and was very impressed. The kitchen cost about £2,500 and installation cost about £3,000 (including the electrics, plumbing, installing the floor etc.), but these figures would vary massively depending on the size of the kitchen and the amount of work you want done.

ONLINE KITCHEN PLANNER
I downloaded the online kitchen planner which is the best free design tool that I have found on the internet. You can enter the dimensions (including height) of your room and the locations of the windows and doors, and there are several basic room shapes (e.g. L or U shape) that you can choose from.

The software then enables you to add any of the furniture and appliances from Ikea's kitchen ranges to the room, experimenting to find your perfect layout. There are also options to add your own appliances, if you aren't buying everything from Ikea.

There are two possible views of your kitchen design: a top view and a 3D view. The 3D view is impressive and can be used to move things round, but I find the top view much easier to use. I would have liked the software to be a bit more complex and allow me to change the colour of the floor, ceiling etc. to get an overall idea of my new kitchen. As it is, you can choose the colour of your worktop, units etc. (from Ikea's ranges) as well as the door handles, plinth, legs etc.

As with most cheap software, there are a number of bugs and annoying things about using this kitchen planner. For example, it sometimes puts a wall unit on the floor or by the ceiling at the wrong height and it's quite fiddly to get it in the right place. However, with trial and error you can use it to design a good kitchen with everything you want.

You can click on a price list icon, which lists everything in your kitchen design and tells you the cost, which is useful and helps you keep to a budget.

You can save your kitchen design either on your own computer, or on the Ikea server. The latter is useful because when you go into the store to order your kitchen, they have computers that you can use to open the design you did at home, which is really clever. The Ikea staff (who are very well trained and knowledgeable) then look at your design and order everything you need, including all the extras you may not have thought of such as cover panels to go on the end of the units.

INSTALLATION SERVICE
I paid extra for Ikea's installation service. When I ordered the kitchen, Ikea's computers estimated the basic cost of installation (plus a £250 admin/commission fee for Ikea…). I had to pay the £250 upfront. Ikea then put me in touch with a company called Core and Ore who arranged a pre-installation visit, in which I arranged for them to do any additional work such as moving the plumbing and adding new sockets and lights. You can also get them to install any non-Ikea things you are planning to buy for the kitchen (e.g. worktop lights, flooring and appliances). They emailed me a written quote a couple of days later.

The kitchen took about 6 weeks to arrive (you can take some ranges home on the day from the warehouse). I was told when I ordered it that Core and Ore would be able to install it in 6 weeks but it was actually more like 10, which I was annoyed about. However, when the installation work started I was very impressed. The disruption wasn't too bad as I cooked in the utility room while the work was being done. They would have charged extra to dispose of the old kitchen, so they just left it round the back on the patio and I borrowed a trailer and took it to the dump. I work full-time so was out when the two men were doing most of the work. They turned up when they said, and every day they left everything tidy. If I noticed anything I was concerned about, I would leave them a note making sure they understood what I wanted. They were very communicative and helpful and had excellent quality of work and attention to detail. In total, installation took about a week. I would definitely recommend Core and Ore, but I think Ikea use different installers in different parts of the country.

OVERALL QUALITY OF KITCHEN
I find that Ikea does the best quality low-price furniture around (compared to Argos, Wickes, M&Q, MFI etc.) and this kitchen was no exception. The units are very strong and well designed. The Adel door fronts look quite cheap close up, but it really doesn't matter if you dress them up with stylish handles, taps etc.

Ikea's kitchen range is also extremely well designed. You can choose a wide variety of clever 'Rationnel' organisers to go inside the drawers and cupboards, to make the best possible use of the space. There are 2 types of corner units, both of which include pull-out baskets/shelves so no space is wasted. You need to buy all these extras in the shop when you order the rest of the kitchen.

I ordered a solid oak worktop. Although it looks great, I slightly regret this decision as it is surprisingly high-maintenance. I was told to oil it every week for the first few months which was a surprisingly big job as you have to move everything off the worktop and be really careful not to get oil on the units or appliances. Ikea sell a good oil for this. For the first few weeks I was really worried as the worktop showed up every drop of water or blemish and looked awful. Each time I got anything on it, I had to sand it down and start again. After a month or so it started to build up a coating of oil and no longer shows up blemishes. Now it just needs oiling every few months. At the moment it has a number of scratches and dark patches where I accidentally left tins on it, but since it's solid wood these things should sand off so I can start again. However, next time I would probably get sometime more low-maintenance.

The worst aspect of the kitchen is the sink. I ordered a basic £50 stainless steel sink from Ikea and unfortunately it shows up every scratch and now looks awful. In future I would spend more on a scratch-proof sink from a different shop.

APPLIANCES
All of Ikea's appliances are designed especially for them by Whirlpool. I ordered a built-in fridge from them which has been absolutely fine, but not as well designed as some other fridges in terms of the shelf layout etc.

I also ordered a HOOB01 extractor fan from them. I wanted the stainless steel version but they put the order through wrong and a white one arrived. However, they replaced it free of charge so it wasn't a problem. The fan pulls out and has a light and several speed settings. I had it installed with a recirculating filter and fan rather than ducting it to the outside. They didn't tell me until afterwards that this would make it really noisy. It is very loud so I hardly ever use it, which is disappointing.

I didn't order any other appliances from Ikea because I discovered that I could buy better-quality Zanussi appliances online for cheaper than Ikea's Whirlpool range.

CONCLUSION
I would recommend Ikea to anyone wanting a low cost but good quality kitchen. The cost is equivalent to other cheap shops but the quality is so much better. If you can't be bothered to install it yourself, then the installation service they arranged for me was excellent and really reliable.

• wellibelli published 01/02/2007
    I love ikea! Great review! xx