Ikea Knubbig Table Lamp

Ikea Knubbig Table Lamp

Type: Table Light - Mood Lighting

Review of "Ikea Knubbig Table Lamp"

published 11/03/2014 | Wee_Jackie_163
Member since : 13/03/2009
~ Thanks for my shiny new diamond.. ~ Dipping my toe back in.. ~
Pro Lovely design - Easy to set up & use - Inexpensive..
Cons None for me..

"Champ Of Lamps..!"

~ Ikea Knubbig Table Lamp ~

When we decorated our bedroom last year, I wanted a few little 'finishing touches' to help achieve the look I wanted. With some of our bedroom furniture being black in colour, I was on the look out for a small silver lamp to add a little contrast to the dark furniture. I stumbled across the perfect accessory in a local branch of Ikea, namely their "Knubbig Table Lamp", with this review outlining my experiences of the product.

The Knubbig Lamp is available in a choice of colours such as red, purple, silver, gold, and a sort of frosted white colour decorated with a delicate petal design. There are two sizes available, but I believe that not all colour choices are available in the larger size. The size I purchased is the smaller size, and I selected this in the silver colour. This cost me £7 from a local branch of Ikea.

The packaging for the Knubbig lamp was fairly simple, with the small, circular lamp resting on a 'square' of thick cardboard and being covered in see-through plastic, so I could see the lamp inside before I bought it.

The lamp's design is quite simple, but I think it is really pretty and unique. With a completely round shape, the lamp is flat on either end, so it sits easily on a flat surface without wobbling. These flat ends are 'open' so the one at the top allows the light to shine through when the lamp is on. I find too that the light shines through the glass shade easily, irrespective of the silver 'foil' design that covers the glass.

I hadn't realised that the Knubbig Lamps are all completely individual, as each one is made from mouth-blown glass, meaning that no two are the same. This gives a unique appeal, although I did feel that my little lamp already had this appeal as I hadn't come across anything quite like it in any other stores that I'd been searching in.

The lamp is extremely easy to use with only minimal set up being required; I simply had to put its bulb in and plug it in at the socket on the wall. To switch it on and off, I simply need to flip the chunky switch that is attached to the Lamp's flex. Whilst I'm on the subject, I have to mention that the Knubbig Table Lamp has an amply-sized flex; it is long enough to reach its required socket easily without feeling cumbersome, and certainly the flex length is on a par with most other lamps that I've purchased in recent times.

The Knubbig Lamp requires the use of an Ikea light bulb, which unfortunately isn't supplied at the time of purchase. I managed to obtain one quite easily in store, however, although I cannot recall how much I paid for this. I can confirm that the light bulb is extremely economical, as it has not needed me to replace it as yet even though the little light has been used for around a year now.

The lamp's 'fitting' is inside the circular lamp, of course, and I admit that I do find it a bit 'fiddly' to remove and fit the light bulb due to the Lamp's neat size; it's not impossible, but it does require a little patience as I need to squeeze my hand in the lamp's top opening, which takes a little practice.

I find that the light from my lamp is quite subtle, so it creates a cosy ambience when I'm reading in bed at night-time, which I am able to do quite easily without straining my eyes. This wasn't really possible with my previous bedside lamp as although it was extremely pretty and gorgeous, it didn't give enough light for me to read comfortably.

The Knubbig Table Lamp works really well, and at the same time it is gloriously pretty. Whilst being quite feminine in its image, I do think that in the right surroundings, the little lamp could work well in extremely contemporary, minimal surroundings; there is something 'crisp' and 'clean-cut' about the Lamp's design that I think make it quite contemporary, without being 'cold' in the way that some modern designs often are.

Instead, the little Knubbig Lamp ticks all the boxes; it is subtle, cosy, modern and chic, with an extremely affordable price tag.

To clean, I simply use an old-fashioned yellow duster, which the Lamp's glass seems to appreciate; all dust particles are removed easily and quickly, leaving the glass sparkling and shining.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ikea Knubbig Table Lamps, and would love to have more of them dotted around my home as they are so attractive and cute in their design; even when switched off, my lamp is shiny and pretty and resembles a flat, chunky vase from afar, so it never stands out or looks awkward.

It is probably no surprise that this little lamp comes with my full recommendation, together with top marks in the product rating score - I can't praise it enough!

• Absinthe_Fairy published 13/03/2014