Review of "Ikea Steka Frying Pan"

published 29/06/2011 | louisechackett
Member since : 05/08/2006
OH MY GOD! Matt Cardle is now following me on Twitter! Watch this space ;)
Pro non stick, reliable. incredibly cheap
Cons none at all

"Steka frying pan from Ikea"

My friend recently took me to ikea as I needed a new computer chair. As is always the case with a trip to ikea I never return with just the item I had intended on buying and on this occasion one of the extra items I bought was the Steka frying pan.

What is it?

The Steka frying pan is an incredibly cheap pan selling at just £1.39 in ikea stores. The pan has a 24 centimetre diameter with a non stick base and plastic handle. It is made from aluminium and is navy blue in colour.

The pan is smaller than my other more expensive frying pans that I own but to be honest it looks no cheaper than them at all and you would never guess that the price was so cheap.

Using the pan

I have to say that as I had paid just £1.39 for this frying pan I was expecting that the first time I used it that it would end up with food stuck all over it and I would have to throw it in the bin! On the first time of using this frying pan my first thought was that it felt very light indeed. I wondered if this would mean that it was poor quality but this was not to be the case.

I poured a small amount of oil in to the base of the pan before cracking an egg in to it when the oil was hot and allowed the egg to cook a while before using my spatula to turn the egg over. I was actually amazed at how easily the egg was flipped over and it didn’t stick at all to the pan which they do in my other frying pans sometimes. The performance of the pan actually surpassed all of my expectations and to be honest was better than that of my more expensive pan.

I have also used this pan to cook omelettes, scrambled egg, bacon, sausages and to brown off some chicken strips and again it performs really well. My only slight problem with this pan is that it is smaller than what I am used to so I would love it to be a bit larger. I combat this problem simply by using it along side my larger pan so it is not a major issue but does mean more washing up!

The pan is really lightweight as I mentioned earlier and I can sometimes forget and be a little heavy handed with it and knock it on the hob so I would advise that you take care when you use the pan and of course always makes sure children are nowhere near it. In general though the fact that the pan is light feels a good thing to me as it is light even with the food cooking in it.

I really wish that I had bought more of these pans when I was at ikea. I have used the pan lots over the past month and there isn’t a mark on it. The non stick surface is absolutely brilliant as far as I am concerned and it showing no signs of becoming damaged or weakened.

The pan is quite versatile and I am sure that you could cook many things in it. It had quite a deep pan part too and so I think it could be potentially used as a wok too for stir fries or for making fried rice.

The cost of this pan is so miniscule that you could probably afford to buy a few of these pans rather than one more expensive one. The quality is excellent too but even if it were to only last me another month or two I know that I would have got my moneys worth. Perhaps for those that are very passionate about cooking and cookware this would not be suitable but I would say for your run of the mill home this is a perfect product and I would certainly recommend that should you be visiting ikea in the future that you pick up a few of these pans!

Thank you for reading my review!

• AnneLorraine1 published 29/06/2011
    Well reviewed Louise
  • KarenUK published 29/06/2011
    I love shopping at Ikea :-)
  • rosebud2001 published 29/06/2011
    Not sure I could be drawn away from Tefal for frying pans but this is tempting due to the price and your praise for it!