charlsays... 4

charlsayslol

About me: I want to post and rate more reviews than I am but am very busy!

Member since:01.03.2006

I'm Sleeping With a Sultan ;)

09.07.2011

Advantages:
Comfortable, good value, doesn't dip, no springs to break

Disadvantages:
None

Overall Quality

DurabilityGood

31 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Revo9
  2. dippykitty123
  3. KathEv

This category appears to be for Ikea Sultan mattresses in general, which encompasses all mattresses that Ikea sell. My review is for Sultan Fonnes in particular, as it is the one that I have had experience of.

When I moved into my flat in Leipzig, my room was completely bare. I had four walls, a door, two windows, a ceiling and floor, and absolutely bugger all in between. Not relishing the idea of sleeping on a hard wooden floor for five months, my friend (who had an equal absence of furniture in her room) decided to make the long trek to Ikea to buy some basic furnishings. A priority was, unsurprisingly, a bed each, and so we ended up buying two identical bed frames with slats, along with a Sultan Fonnes double foam mattress each. I canít remember how much of a choice there was available for mattresses, but given our relatively low budget, if there was more than a couple available it certainly would have been the cheapest one that we went for. That said, at 99 euros it was hardly Ďcheapí, only the least expensive. I hadnít had a foam mattress before but on sitting on it, it seemed comfortable enough, so I wasnít about to let this put me off.

We bought the 140cmx200cm mattresses in order to fit our double bed frames, but they are also available in widths of 160cm, 90cm and 80cm to fit larger and smaller beds respectively. After putting together the frames and the slats the mattress slotted in easily, which was unsurprising considering that both it and the bed were bought from Ikea and so should obviously be made to fit.

Our first impressions of the mattresses were positive: they are comfortable without being too firm or too soft and since, as largely idle students, we spend a lot of time lying or sitting in them, this was of particularly importance. Because one of our beds was put together before the other one we ended up sharing a bed for a few nights and found that with two people on the mattress it was comfortable and didnít dent or dip in any particular way. Since then I have mainly been sleeping alone (my boyfriend is far away in Scotland) and find it equally pleasant to sleep in by myself. At 12cm thick it seems like a relatively thin mattress but I have never felt any hint of the wooden slats beneath it and wonder if this is because it is a foam mattress. Iím no expert on mattress types but the foam does seem springier and less likely to sag than others.

Four months on and Iím still impressed with this mattress, though I would be concerned if after such a short time it had deteriorated in quality in anyway. Since weíre leaving Germany soon, however, I wonít be able to comment on its condition after several more months or years use, but since itís as good now as it was on purchasing it, I doubt itíd reduce in quality in the short term at all.

I have been very happy with this mattress as I find it to be comfortable and have had no problems with it at all. Although I bought a foam mattress down to its lower cost, it would definitely be something that I would consider buying again. There are no springs and so none to break or dig into you uncomfortably in the night (my boyfriendís last bed was unbearably unpleasant in some parts due to the metal springs digging into your sides) and it doesnít seem to sag at all. At £101.11 for a double bed (prices for other sizes available on the website) itís not ridiculously cheap, but since mattresses are generally quite expensive items, itís also not a bad price either. The next time I have to furnish a bedroom (hopefully not in the near future Ė itís far too tiring and too much effort) I will definitely consider getting another Sultan Fonnes from Ikea.

Revo9 24.07.2011 13:33

Good review, well done

pgn0 10.07.2011 13:42

Sleeping on a Sultan's a more appropriate title - your review shows you can sleep like a king (or a queen, I guess) without forking out a king's ransom for the mattress.

killiefan 09.07.2011 11:54