Ilkley Grammar School

Ilkley Grammar School

Review of "Ilkley Grammar School"

published 31/08/2006 | srenton88
Member since : 22/08/2006
Pro None of the bullying you see in the news, great school
Cons headteacher tries bringing rediculous rules out

"I wouldnt change the school I went to"

I started Ilkley Grammar school at the age of 12, the education system in my region was first, middle and grammar school but this changed while I was in year 7 to Primary and secondary school. Now children start Ilkley grammar school in year 7 but I joined in year 8 due to the changing of the system.

Year 8 was a bit hectic, mainly because the school used an old middle school to house year 7 and 8 while the actual site carried out construction to house 2 new years (the council didn't plan the system change very well).

Ilkley grammar school is situated on Cowpasture road, Ilkley, west Yorkshire. There are 2 main buildings, 2 smaller buildings for the D.T and I.T departments and a cabin for some science classes. The website is currently under construction (www.ilkleygs.ngfl.ac.uk) but the phone number is 01943 608424 and the head teacher is Mrs Gillian James.

Ilkley grammar school runs from year 7 to 6th form, year 7 to 11 each have different coloured ties to distinguish between them. When year 11 leave, the year 7 of next year get their tie so the tie colours are recycled. I had a red tie and I have just left 6th form so red ties starting school next week are year 9 (it's easier to understand when you've been to the school).

For GCSE I took the three main subjects, science, English and maths, Spanish, Child development, Geography and Resistant materials. All the facilities are good but (as with all schools) some teachers make certain subjects more interesting.

If you live in Ilkley you are expected to walk to school but for students outside the town there are free buss services available. I lived in burley, this is 4 miles away from Ilkley and there where 3 bus services that went through burley, 2 of which started in burley and one started in Menston which is the next village out of Ilkley (about 6/7 miles away from Ilkley). There were 2 services from Keighley that travelled through Silsden and Addingham. Any students living further away are expected to find their on means of transportation (mainly the train as the school is a 5 minute walk from Ilkley station).

Throughout year 8 to 11 I never had any problems, the teachers were all friendly and there was plenty of out of school activities and sports available. Preparing for my GCSEs were made easier by the mock tests we had to do in year 11 and all my subject teachers were willing to conduct lunchtime and out-of-school classes for extra tuition.

I never had any problems with other students and found it easy to get on with everyone else from my year and other years alike. I also never encountered any form of bullying, especially not like some I have heard about at other schools.

When I finished my GCSEs I planned to do a plumber apprentice, this fell threw at the last minute so I went back to school the day before 6th form started and asked if I could still go, they let me n straight away and I am so glad I went to 6th form now.

In 6th form you don't have to wear uniform and I found the atmosphere a lot more relaxing than main school. The 6th form centre (the room where 6th formers only are allowed) had its own cafeteria and there are more than enough sofas for everyone to sit at, at lunchtime. I found it easy to spend time with my mates during my free periods and my teachers were even more friendly than during main school (they treated us more like adults).

I don't have any bad memories from my school years and I will miss 6th form dearly, i'm going into Leeds with everyone from 6th form next Friday, there are about 60 of us going so far which just shows how close our whole year was. I loved my experience at this school (or at least the people I shared it with) AND WILL NEVER FORGET IT.

If I have missed anything from this review please tell me and I will add it, thanks for the read x

• Claiiiree published 31/08/2006
    sounds like a good school. I have been watching that program admission impossible about 10 year olds (and their parents) trying to get into their school of choice instead of their nearest usually crap local school.
  • denella published 31/08/2006
    It's good to hear of a school with no bullying problems.
  • Dan_ep published 31/08/2006
    SOunds like a decent school. Dan.

Product Information : Ilkley Grammar School