Imation Corp. DVD-RW 4.7 GB 4x

Imation Corp. DVD-RW 4.7 GB 4x

Review of "Imation Corp. DVD-RW 4.7 GB 4x"

published 13/06/2009 | volcano
Member since : 27/03/2001
Pro none
Cons unreliable, landfill material
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"Beware, not reliable media"

I have bought this at the same time as I bought the Imation DVD+RW media.
It was bought at £7.91 for 10. The reason that I dip into this turn out to be 'extremely expensive landfill media' was that the £11.99 I spent on the DVD+RW media was not enough to qualify for 'Super Saver free delivery for over £19' at that time. I should have done it weeks later because Amazon later changed the over £19 to over £15 for super save delivery!

Performance:

While I was struggling with the DVD+RW media, I put these DVD-RW discs aside.
They were more expensive and I thought that they might be better. How wrong I was!

After I sorted out some DVD+RW media for storing my precious photos (a few months later it was proven to be a huge mistake), I laid my hands on these DVD-RW discs. I have tried them on recording some TV programmes. The recording went well however I couldn't watch any of them!

Since there are only 10 of them, I tested them all. Writing to them with the DVD recorder was straight forward and no problem whatsoever. Trying to watch the programmes recorded is another story. The best one gave you the footage with lots of pixelised sections in between. The worst one gave you nothing.
So I tested them on data storage instead. The performance of these discs were actually worse then the DVD+RW dics.

What happens next:

Finally I have decided to use them as 'write-once' discs for unimportant files rather than going through the complex complaint and return procedure to send them back and wait (may be a very long time) for a refund.

Media ID (important):

The media ID of these discs is : OptodiscW004
Optodisc is an okay DVD media manufacturer in general.
Don't know why this batch is so awful.

• firedragon911 published 13/06/2009
    Thanks for warning.
  • catsholiday published 13/06/2009
    I agree with previous comments.
  • dynamicnurse published 13/06/2009
    Could be written in a more helpful manner.