In da Club - 50 Cent (Single)

In da Club - 50 Cent (Single)

Single Track from 50 Cent - Genre: Hip Hop/Rap - Release Year: 2003

Review of "In da Club - 50 Cent (Single)"

published 20/08/2011 | charlsayslol
Member since : 01/03/2006
I want to post and rate more reviews than I am but am very busy!
Pro Great rhythm and beat, good lyrics, all round brilliant song
Cons None, but some swearing (if you count that as a disadvantage)
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"And You Should Love It, Way More Than You Hate It"

Get Rich Or Die Trying

Ever since importing a couple of Eminem albums onto my laptop a few days ago, I’ve decided to get back into rap music with aplomb. As a teenager, rap and hip hop was my favourite music genre, with performers such as Eminem and 50 Cent very high up on my ‘most loved’ list. For a couple of years as a young teenager my parents conceded to having Sky television in the house and so, with a healthy selection of music channels to choose from, I was quite au fait with a lot of the rap music of the day. One of the songs that I remember most from this period was the oh so popular song, ‘In Da Club’, by none other than 50 Cent.

In Da Club

Released in January 2003 (when I was only thirteen years old, believe it or not), ‘In Da Club’ quickly skyrocketing to the Number 1 spot in the charts and became one of the most popular songs of all time. With its rhythmic and catchy beat it became the song of choice both for fans of hip hop and rap to listen to in their cars and homes as well as taking the club scene by storm, being played in night venues throughout the world. This rap was one of the first recorded by 50 Cent after he was discovered by the legend that is Eminem and taken to record some tracks in LA with producer Dr Dre, and although this track apparently the type of thing that Dre envisioned from the artist, it was clearly a work of commercial and general genius as can be seen by the acclaim and success that it received worldwide.
Tune, Lyrics and Beat

The rhythm and tune of this song make it one of my favourite raps of all time. Even now, more than eight years after its original release, the sound of the beat still has me dancing whenever I hear it and if I hear it when I am in a club myself, I always jump up to dance to it even if I’d been sitting down having a drink at the time. The rhythm during the verses and the chorus is consistent in its beat, which makes it easy to dance to as well as to enjoy when you’re not listening to it in a club context. The vocals, done entirely by 50 Cent as a rap, are deceptively monotonous in tone: that is, there is little variation of note or style and one would think that this would get too repetitive or dull after a while, but it surprisingly does not at all. This style really works and is one of the reasons why this song is so good – it’s deceptively simple but the sound is just right for the song.

The lyrics are, while commercially great and ones that work well for song, short of the genius that Eminem displays in his music, but still represent some of the most famous lines in rap music of the 21st century. The opening lines of:

“ Go, go, go, go, go shawty, it’s your birthday, we’re gonna party like it’s your birthday, we’re gonna sip barcadi like it’s your birthday, and you know we don’t give a f**k it’s not your birthday”

are likely to be recognised by many people in the English speaking world as well as many outwith it. The lines are fairly typical of rap in the way that the largely concern money, alcohol, sex and the odd reference to violence and in this way they are nothing particularly special, but they also escape being overly clichéd and are effective in this song.
Get Rich Or Die Trying

In Da Club comes from 50 Cent’s album with the title as stated above, and while it is not the first album to be released by the rapper, it was arguably the first to achieve a high level of success. ‘In Da Club’ is one of my favourite tracks on this album, although I also really enjoy songs such as ‘What Up Gangsta’ and ’21 Questions’, the latter of which was also released as a single. In the context of the album this song does very well and complements the rest of the tracks well, although it definitely feels more like a rap written to stand alone as a single than it does one as part of an album.

Overall Opinion

In conclusion, I really love this track because of its rhythm and tune, as well as for the memories of my earlier teenage years that it inspires. I didn’t have the best time socially when I was this age and was quite unhappy for an extended period, but despite this I have very fond memories of some of the music that I used to listen to during this time, and ‘In Da Club’ is one of these. As well as inspiring a certain nostalgia, it is also a song that I enjoy listening to at home now. I particularly love it, however, when it comes on in a club, as it is so suited to this context, but as I was only thirteen when it was originally released I was too young to appreciate it in this field at the time, so I now enjoy dancing to it in clubs when it’s played as I couldn’t as a child.

Highly recommended, but again, as with most rap, its lyrics aren’t suitable for younger children.

• SallsMumof2 published 04/09/2011
    Good review - but I' more impressed by his six pack than his music I'm afraid!
  • MrBrightside1987 published 25/08/2011
    Excellent review :)
  • Ruby.xo published 21/08/2011
    Great review on a great track