MrGump 4

MrGump

About me: Hi. Many thanks for all r/r/c genuinely appreciated. Will always rate back not always immediately but I do get round to it. Also on Dooyoo with name hotrock4 where my reviews may also be found. Simon.

Member since:13.02.2009

Indesit IWB71250 Washing Machine, Cheap and Definitely Cheerful

04.08.2011 (05.08.2011)

Advantages:
15 minute wash cycle and 7kg load capacity

Disadvantages:
Some Of The Wash Cycles Seem A Bit Long

Performance

3. K2705
  1. Absinthe_Fairy
  2. VampirePrincessLizzy
  3. arnoldhenryrufus

When our previous dinosaur of a washing machine decided it was time to give up the ghost as we'd been expecting it to for some time, it was essential with a new baby in the house and all the extra washing she was creating that we replaced it immediately. So off we trotted to Comet expecting to pay over the odds compared to what we could get a machine for online, however after just two loads of hand-washing we really weren't willing to wait for delivery.

Once inside the array of washing machines, and different special features provided was truly baffling. We had already decided a budget before we entered the shop and was soon to find that the price range varying from £200 to well over £1000 would leave us walking out with one of the cheapest machines in the shop.

Why we chose the Indesit IWB71250:

We eventually found this specific Indesit machine tucked between a few of the more expensive machines we couldn't even justify spending out on and to our delight it was on special offer. This was our primary reason for chosing it, the RRP was £349.99 and the offer price was a mere £220 only £20 over our budget.

Our other reasons for choosing this machine are as follows. Indesit are part of the Hotpoint group of companies and this is a name I have grown to trust as this is the make of our previous machine which lasted well over 12 years with only a couple of minor repairs.The 15 minute wash cycle function was also a big selling point to us giving the fact we were already finding we were spending far more time using the washing machine probably sealing the fate of our old appliance. Last but by no means least the Hotpoint 5 year parts guarantee was a big selling point to us, this means to me that they are confident this machine will last this long without repair which should hopefully mean an investment of less than £1 a week to own this appliance which we discussed and eventually decided this would be a good compromise between price and features offered when compared to the other machines in store. This is also an A rated appliance which means it will not be costing you the earth to wash your clothes, but if honest the initial outlay meant more to us so this was a bonus that we noticed whilst unpacking the washing machine after we got it home.

So after this careful consideration and comparison, and a fair bit more confusion we caught the attention of the salesman and informed him that this was the washing machine we would like to be leaving the store with. We did try to get a little off of the price but as we were paying by card and it was already on offer unfortunately this was a no go.

Getting It Home and Installation:-

Having a two door Ford Focus I was a little sceptical as to whether I would actually be able to squeeze it in, but need not have worried as being quite a standard size machine (W 59.5cm H 85cm D59.5cm) it went in with plenty of room to spare. The only consideration to not having this delivered would be the weight as at around the 50kg mark this makes it quite difficult to remove from the car and maneuver into its place of use with only 1 person and no extra muscle available.

Once removed from the packaging there are the usual transportation bolts to remove from the rear of the machine along with corresponding rubber spacers. The sole intention of these is to prevent the drum of the machine moving during transportation. There are 4 of these bolts to remove and if installing yourself you will need an appropriate spanner or socket as these are too tight to be spun out by hand. There are four blanking caps provided to fill the holes left behind and it is advised that the bolts and spacers are kept for if the machine ever needs transporting again.

So now I was ready to install our new shiny machine and thankfully our floor is level so we did not need to adjust the feet, this is however quite an easy task if slightly fiddly and definitely something that would be made easier by having a second person just to take the weight of the machine whilst the feet are adjusted. It is advised that if the appliance is to be installed on a rug or carpet the feet are adjusted to give adequate ventilation underneath.

As seems to be the case with all washing machines now this is a cold water feed only and the machine heats the water itself meaning dead easy installation with only one pipe going in. This pipe needs first to be attached to the water supply and then onto the machine itself. This is simply a case of a threaded attachment at either end that screws onto the wasing machine and tap at the other end. The end that connects to the washing machine is angled as such that it allows it to be pushed almost flush against a wall leaving the machine taking up minimal space. All attachments and the inlet hose were attached with the machine.

Probably the most important thing to think of when installng is the waste water pipe, which can either be hung on the edge of a basin/sink 65 - 100cm above the floor. This can however also be connected straight into the sink trap in the plumbing underneath the sink, I would not like to have tried this myself and ours is simply hung on the edge of the sink using the handy plastic hook provided that snugly holds the waste water pipe.

So I think that covers everything on the installation side of things and the only thing left for me to do was plug the machine in (plug supplied and ready fitted) and run it on the advised hot-wash at 90 degrees with detergent but no laundry for the first round. Once this first wash cycle had finished the machine was now ready to use as I pleased.

Description and Features:-

The machine is a pretty standard front loading washing machine looking similar to most other base range machines finished in white however the door is glass rather than plastic, and has a 7kg load capacity. It has the usual with detergent drawer on the front top left and is capable of accepting liquids, powders and also has a seperate compartment for the softener. The drawer opens and closes easily enoughand fits snugly once shut. There is the expected on/off button, and the dial for selecting which wash cycle you wish to use. Next to this is the temperarture control dial allowing temperatures from 30 - 90 to be selected or a cold wash setting.

As well as the on/off button there is a start/pause button which will start or pause the machine without cancelling the wash cycle. The machine also has an energy saving feature which will automatically put the machine into standby mode after half an hour. This is easily deactivated by quickly pressing the on/off button.

There are four function buttons across the top of the machine there functions are as follows:

1. Eco-Time:- This allows certain wash cycles to be run on a slightly quicker cycle time setting usually saving around 10 minutes from the total wash time, and is advised for lightly soiled clothes, saving both water and electricity.

2. Intensive Wash:- This function uses a larger amount of water in the first stages of the wash and also has a longer than standard cycle time which as the name suggests gives a more intensive thourough wash.

3. 1200-600:- Again pretty self explanatory this function gives the user the ability to change the spin speed from 1200rpm to 600rpm.

4. Delay Time:- This is another feature I personally like as we are on economy 7 with our electricity and this allows us to delay the start of the washing machine for up to 12 hours and use it when it is most efficent for us. This function can be used with all cycles on the machine with the only draw back being you cannot use a liquid detergent it has to be a washing powder.

Lastly there are the indication lights which run down the right hand side of the machine which let you know the stage at which the washing machine is at, and these lights also act as the indicators as to how long you will be delaying the wash cycle for if using the delayed timer.

The wash cycles avaialble on this machine are as follows :-

1. White cotton (90, 60 and 30 degrees) 90- Extremely Soiled Whites, 60 degrees Heavily Soiled Whites, (30 degrees) Lightly Soiled Whites and Delicate Colours

2. Cotton (60 degrees) Heavily Soiled Whites and Resistant Colours

3. Cotton (40 degrees) Lightly Soiled Whites and Delicate Colours..

4. Lightly Soiled Cottons (30 degrees), Lightly Soiled White and Resistant Colours.

5. Synthetics (50 degrees) Heavily Soiled Resistant Colours.

6. Wool (40 degrees) Cashmere etc

7. Silk/Curtains (30 degrees) Silk and Viscose Garments and Lingerie

8. Jeans (40 degrees)

9. Express 15 (30 degrees) To Refresh Lightly Soiled Garments. - Limited Load 1.5kg

10.Flash Cotton (60 degrees) Quick cotton wash. - Limited Load 3.5kg

11.Sport Intensive (30 degrees) Heavily Soiled Sports Clothes - Limited Load 3kg

12.Sport Light (30 degrees) Limited Load 3kg

13.Shoes (30 degrees) - Max 2 pairs

There are also the options to run just a Rinse, Spin or Drain functions individually. The run times of the cycles on this washing machine range from 60 minutes for the lightly soiled loads through to 170 minutes for the heavily soiled loads differing accordingly. This is of course excluding the handy 15 minute quick wash cycle which tends to get used quite a bit.

Does It Do The Job?

So far so good there is not a load of washing that has come out dirty or a different colour to which I have put in. The handy functions mean all I have to do is check out the chart on the front of the washing machine and all is made clear. As many of you may appreciate being male when it comes to help with washing and little pointer or clue is handy when trying not to shrink or dye clothes.

Baby sick on black T-shirts and dirt and oil on jeans and trainers have all come out spotless providing I have stuck rigourously to the above mentioned cycle chart so no definitely no complaints or grumbles as far as the cleanliness of my clothes are concerned. So yes it certainly does do the job it is supposed to do well.

Some of the wash cycles seem a little long and drawn out but I do suppose I would rather wait for clean clothes. I feel the main reason for this is that it is a standard top feeding washing machine rather than a model that has jets firing water in from all angles. In fact the length of the wash cycles is about the only thing I can fault this washing machine on in both functionality and looks department, and the fact is A rated is an added bonus.

Would I recommend this washing machine:-

With the 7kg load capacity and the 15 minute quick wash cycle, along with the rest of the functions listed above, this is most certainly one of the better low priced washing machines I have had the privilige of using being both effective and if need be quick. So yes I would definately recommend this washing machine if you are looking to buy on a budget especially if you can find it on offer or have the time to wait for it to be delivered from an on-line supplier you will not be dissapointed in the quality of the machine for the price you'll pay. It is a fairly quite machine however I am comparing this to my last washing machine which we could hear a full storey above in every single room.

The wash cycle times for me are unfortunately enough for this product to loose a star but don't let this put you off as it is damn near perfect in every other aspect.

4/5 stars from me.

Thanks for reading and I hope I haven't bored you to much in your hard earned time away from washing machines and such appliances.