Indesit WD 12 X

Indesit WD 12 X

Integrated, Freestanding - Front Loading - Energy Efficiency: B - Max Capacity: 5, 5.5 kg - Width: 60, 59.5 cm

Review of "Indesit WD 12 X"

published 04/03/2004 | sylvie_dubois03
Member since : 19/09/2003
Pro easy to use and practical
Cons slow to dry

"excellent washer, not so good dryer"

We are a busy family of 3: dad, maintenance engineer, works in uniforms and boiler suits that see all sorts ; baby, 2 years old, happy to make as much mess as he can, especially when I have just changed his clothes ; and me, normal homemaker, maybe a bit fussy as I won't wear the same clothes twice without giving them a wash, and who likes washing my bed sheets at least once a week and my curtains and nets monthly.

So the washing mashine I was going to buy had to follow me and my demands. I bought this Indesit washer dryer just under a year ago, but the life it's had with me is probably worth 3 years already!! I do one to two washes a day, be it a quick wash (I am one of the mums who steals my baby's blanket when he's not looking so I can give it a wash!!) or a boil.

The washer part of the appliance offers a wide choice, but I suppose you'd expect that from any washing mashine in 2004!

The spin speed goes up to 1200 which is an excellent selling point in itself. For the novice, the higher the spin speed, the less water is left inside the fibres after a wash, meaning it is quicker at drying!! You can also adjust the spin speed down to 600 for delicates or even choose to let your clothes rest in the rincing water at the end of the wash, for anti-crease results on drying.

There is an energy efficient option too, where the washer will use less water to do its job. It's quite useful but I must admit that the washer is already energy sufficient enough for me.

My other favourite option is the quick wash, with a load done in 30 minutes. Excellent for lightly soiled clothes, bed sheets, curtains, and obviously for my little boy's comfort blanket!!

The manual that came with the washing mashine was very clear too and gives you the length of time for each type of wash, which I found useful.

The temperature is controllable manually, which is not available on all washing mashines.

For the dryer I have to say I have not used it many times, mainly because I did not like it much. There is no pipe to connect which is probably one of the only advantages of the dryer, but being a condenser dryer, it heats up quite a lot and the glass door gets very hot, which is not something I can have in the presence of a little boy who touches everything.

The only control of the dryer is a timer. The temperature is automatically adjusted according to the setting you chose for the wash. Indeed, the dryer is a continuity of the wash, and, if set to "on", will dry automatically your load as soon as the wash is finished. I suppose this is very practical to people who are out all day, as you just press one button and when you come home, your clothes are washed and dryed. The problem is that I like to keep control of what goes in the tumble dryer. With my way, I can mix and match the items I wash, and decide what would go in the dryer and what is too delicate and needs to be dryed naturally.

My last point will be on the price. I don't know if I can advertise here but I will, please let me know if I should not. I bought my washer dryer through the Choice catalogue. Its original price was of £359.00, but as this was my first introductry offer, I had a 20% discount, therefore I paid £287.20 for it, making it cheaper than Argos!!!!! On top of it, when you spend over £100 with Choice you receive 10% cash-back, so this purchase gave me near £30 worth of goodies for free out of my catalogue. That's what I call value!!!

• voyagerdude220 published 09/08/2005
    Brilliant review!! Definately worth a VH rating, maybe even an exceptional one. I'll decide in 2 mins- lol I'm a male who is brilliant with washing machines, and we've got a Hotpoint WD62 washer dryer which is probablly around 6-8 years old. I agree with you about using the machine alot though!
  • morgjgriff published 05/03/2004
    Gosh, you sound just like me! I like my bedding to be washed at least once a week too, nothing nicer is there? When I brought my washing machine, a seperate temp control was one of the most important features for me, I like to be able to do a really long wash at a low temperature. Very good op, well done :-) Ciao for now - J
  • mattydalton published 05/03/2004
    I could do with a washer-dryer. I live in a pokey flat so don't have the space for separate machines.