Indesit WIL163

Indesit WIL163

Freestanding - Front Loading - Energy Efficiency: A - Max Capacity: 5 kg - Width: 60, 59.5 cm

Review of "Indesit WIL163"

published 13/06/2007 | Miskah
Member since : 19/05/2007
Pro fast spin, energy efficient, quiet when running, really clean washing
Cons it likes buttons pushing before door is shut and i never remember
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Wash away the blues"

When I came to replace my last washer I didn’t have any definite ideas regarding manufacturer, other than I wanted a good make, a fast spin and I didn’t want an Ariston like my last one, which became the bane of my life. Prior to purchasing I only had a short time for research as it’s a real pain not having a washer. In the end I whittled it down to a choice between Zanussi and Indesit but eventually chose the Indesit after recommendations from several of my friends.

The Indesit WIL163 washing machine:
ťťťťťťťťťťťťťťťťťť

This is an A rated washer- the ratings inform a potential purchaser about its efficiency. It is rated for energy rating, wash performance and spin performance. It receives an A for all 3; the scale runs from A-G with A being the best, G being the worst.

Its dimensions are height 850 mm x width 595 mm x depth 535 mm so it should fit under most work surfaces although I do always measure (after having a nasty surprise from a fridge once) and it has a very good spin speed , revolving at 1600 times each minute. The faster the spin the more water gets squeezed from the washing and consequently it takes less time to dry either on the line or in a tumble dryer.

It has a decent capacity taking up to 5 kg dry weight of washing. Trying to squash more than the drum is designed to hold usually results in a less than perfect wash, so it’s worth getting the right capacity for you. Personally I go bigger, duvets and pillows take up quite a bit of room even though they aren’t always that heavy.

It has 16 programmes to select from and its range is good. These include the usual:
• Cotton: prewash, white and coloured
• Easy care
• Delicates
• Wool,
• Hand wash
• Silk/curtains
• it also has a selection of quick washes, flash clean, flash colour, flash nylon
• 2 specialist washes; shoes/special and special sports.
• Refresh option; a low temperature wash to freshen up lightly soiled clothing
• Stain removal programme
• It also has an anti crease programme
• Super / Extra Rinse
• Auto half load
• Rinse and hold
• It has a choice of temperatures from 30- 90

The operating panel is mechanical rather than digital. It has two large selection knobs and several buttons. It has a delay timer of up to 9 hours. It has a wide opening large door which makes it easy to stuff duvets in and get them out again.

Its water supply is cold fill- this is no more expensive than a dual fill in our experience. The draw has a large powder compartment, a prewash/bleach segment and a fabric conditioner slot. This slides out for easy cleaning.

It doesn’t have a child lock -not an issue with us as we have no little ones now. I believe you can buy these separately though, but I’ve never checked, so I suggest you do if you have little children. It does have a zero delay door safety lock so you cant open it while the machine is running but you can as soon as the drum has stopped.

It doesn’t have an antibacterial programme but I didn’t want that function. Personally I think using too many anti-bacterial products creates a false sense of security and often leads to poor habits. This choice of programme comes down to personal preference of course.

It has a quick wash cycle of 30 minutes. At 40 degree that rises to 79 minutes and the 60 degree is around 2 hours. It uses 53 litres of water for a 60 degree wash and its energy consumption is 0.95 kilowatts per hour.

It is fairly quite in operation even the spins and it automatically balances the drum contents. When washing just a full load of towels it does the little washing machine dance for a few seconds but that’s true of most washers in my experience.

It comes in white and silver. Mine is silver this costs around £20 more than the white. It has a 12 month manufacturer’s warranty

This washer does wash a full load extremely well and its spin cycle leaves the fabric only damp which is excellent. Its shoe programme is excellent for trainers and work shoes and the sports cycle is great to wash mud covered clothing, for example our walking gear, and gets it all out.

The delicate and wool settings are really good and things come out undamaged and unshrunk. The refresh option is superb for clothing that you have only worn for a couple of hours and don’t spill anything onto, such as eveningwear.

It took me a long time to use the hand wash cycle, and I confess I did try it out on my mans clothing first. But it does treat them well, but even now I wouldn’t trust anything really expensive to it.

Niggles:
ťťťť
There aren’t many but this washer does prefer you to shut the door after pressing the buttons, im not sure why, but if you don’t it will sit there and wait for you to open it then shut it again and for some reason I rarely remember this.

• sifair published 14/06/2007
    Great review
  • gazman1511 published 14/06/2007
    Top review!!
  • HotBlonde published 13/06/2007
    A good priece but no child lock- oh i have visions of water all over my kitchen floor lol lol - lynsey x